26 August 2005

Worms in a Bowl


I'm an adventurous eater. As long as it doesn't move, I'll try it. Of course, there are times I regret eating (especially that time I tried Chicago's version of the hot dog -- I haven't touched a hot dog since), but most of the time I like what I try (or at least have bragging rights to eating things such as ostrich and squid).

What's amazing to me is some of the weird stuff I find in my own pantry and refrigerator. Around noon I decided to rummage in the pantry. Hidden behind some cans was a lumpy package of what appeared to be noodles. The writing was all in Korean, except for "green mung bean noodles." Hmm... this looks interesting, I thought. I vaguely remembered eating some type of bean noodle before. Mom didn't care for the consistency, but I think I liked them.

After looking up cooking directions on the internet (since I couldn't read what was on the package), and cooking the noodles, I set about to find a sauce to put on them. In the back of the fridge I found a small jar: "Hoisen Sauce" it read... the rest was in Chinese. I put some of that in the pot, along with soy sauce, Thai peanut sauce, and lemon juice. Did those flavors go well together? Heck, I didn't know, but I tossed them in anyway.

Only until after I dove into my bowl of noodles did I discover why Mom didn't like them. They had the same consistency as worms. The Hoisen and Thai sauces combined made my eyes water and nose run. Interesting. I took a few more bites.

"Hey, Carey, if you don't want your noodles I'll eat them," my younger brother called from the kitchen table. This is a common phrase from Jeremy (If you don't want it, I'll eat it) and is often met with NO, but this time I decided to be a kind sister and let him have my noodles.

11 Comments:

At 06 September, 2005 11:05, Blogger Carey said...

Probably

 
At 06 September, 2005 17:12, Blogger Hannah said...

Weird things I've eaten (which aren't that weird):
1) Squid
2) Octopus legs (boiled, not dried)
3) Fish (Whole body, including eyeballs, etc.)
4) Poopoo platter (nasty name for really well marinated beef. Don't ask me why they call it that.)

I haven't eaten chicken feet, but I saw raw ones at the Korean Market once. They still had the toenails on them. Glad I'm Texan and we eat civilized things like hotdogs (made from chicken lips and pig innards), and bologna (mechanically separated chicken and beef put together into one delicious mass).

 
At 08 September, 2005 13:50, Blogger Hannah said...

Oh, btw, Americans also eat slim jims, which will not make anyone slim and is basically a stick of chicken and beef "parts", colored to look like its all beef, glued together with preservatives that will slow down the body's metabolism and probably clog something that you want (like an artery).

 
At 08 September, 2005 13:56, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Slim jims are a divine creation, made to deliver hungry scouts out of the wilderness. Just as the hebrews had quail, so do the americans have Slim Jims.

And they aren't all that bad for you.
Quail and catfish have bones, which hurt a lot more.

 
At 08 September, 2005 15:16, Blogger Hannah said...

Quail and catfish each contain nutrition. Where is the nutrition in a slim jim I ask you?

 
At 08 September, 2005 20:04, Blogger RobertDWood said...

The nutritional content is located in the wrapper, which is energy bar cleverly disguised as a petrochemical plastic wrapper. And in the spices that is in the slim jim.

 
At 11 September, 2005 09:36, Blogger Carey said...

The wierdest things I've eaten...

...monkey gland burger
...ostrich jerkey
...squid jerkey
...raw fish (aka sashimi)

 
At 11 September, 2005 13:00, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Monkey gland burger?
Sounds like one of the dishes from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Hehehe...

 
At 12 September, 2005 16:46, Blogger Hannah said...

No kidding!
Last night I ate dove for the first time. It was interesting, but cooked it looks like a snake head, or a very small turkey (I know those things don't sound similar at all, but they really do.)
Tasted better than duck though (which can be rather stringy).

 
At 12 September, 2005 20:01, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Ever had a Turducken? Look it up around Thanksgiving and christmas.

 
At 18 April, 2006 23:37, Blogger Kathryn said...

Blech. The wildest thing I've eaten is squid. The legs were still attached, all splayed out and I could see the suction cups. It was sick.
I had fresh tuna once though, it was amazing.
Strange because I hate seafood of any kind, being a fish-lover. xP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home