06 December 2005

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tommorrow we diet.

Everyone in my family is a bit on the pudgy side -- even our pets. Tired of this, my mother recently decided to put us all on a diet. (I actually agreed with her, though I knew it wasn't going to be easy.) So yesterday we began the South Beach Diet. For the first two weeks, we must abstain from sugar (this includes fruits, honey, jello, you name it) and carbohydrates (breads, pastas, rice, potatoes, etc.).

"So what do we eat?" I asked Mom, "Grass?"

We can have plenty of meat and vegetables... well, some vegetables are taboo, such as carrots. (I am told they have lots of sugar in them.) The whole thing sounds a bit absurd to me; I am quite skeptical about it, but when you have been overweight all your life, you can tend to be a bit on the desparate side. I need to read the book so I can understand just why I am putting myself through this torture. If it really does work (and make sense) then I won't touch sugar. Whatever it takes!

Temtation is glaringly obvious when you watch what you are eating. Monday, my English professor brought pizza and several classmates brought cookies for our last-week-of-school "party." Of course, I couldn't touch a single thing, and had to be content with my diet soda. Then today my boss brought donuts to work. I don't usually like them, but just knowing I couldn't have the donuts made me want them. However, all I have to do is remind myself that unless I take some drastic steps to reduce my weight, I will be trapped in my own body and be unable to do the things I love (such as travelling, hiking, camping, etc.). Self-discipline is also a necessary part of the Christian life... something a free spirit like me has always found difficult.

"Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty."
- Job 5:17

16 Comments:

At 07 December, 2005 00:26, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I did not know the South Beach diet was Low-Carb. I do not think that is terribly healthy.

God Bless

 
At 07 December, 2005 05:51, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Steak! Steak all around!!!

 
At 07 December, 2005 08:20, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Steak is great, but its nice to have it with chips (sorry, french fries).

 
At 07 December, 2005 12:55, Blogger Julia said...

Wow your brave to start a diet in December!
My dad lost alot of weight about 2 years ago.
And if im correct, what he did was sometimes once a week skip one meal a day,(never breakfast)and when he ate he'd chose the healthy alternative, eat slowly until he was full, and just discipline himself with smaller portions. He cut alot of sodas out, and when he wanted something sweet, he would have it, just a small bit of it- because usually if you dont eat what you want, then you just end up eating more. The way to lose weight is to just eat less for an extended period of time, then your stomach shrinks. What ive read on the south beach diet page, it seems pretty sane.
Dont know why i wrote all this, it was just floating around in my mind....
Oh and a word up, i thought you looked really pretty the other day.

 
At 07 December, 2005 14:43, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks, Julia... but what other day?

 
At 07 December, 2005 14:46, Blogger Carey said...

The guys in my family think the "more meat" approach sounds great, but I'm not much of a meat-eater. In fact, I'm more prone to be vegetarian with the occasional fish or chicken. Can't eat American beef... there's some hormone that the American meat industry injects into its beef that I'm allergic to. (When I was in the UK , South Africa, and Mexico, I never had any reaction to their beef.) Creepy, isn't it?

 
At 07 December, 2005 14:53, Blogger Carey said...

Chips are not really the same thing as French fries, though that is the only comparison one can make for Americans to understand what "chips" are. American french fries are puny and greasy compared to British chips. Mmm... now I am craving them. Oh dear.

By the way, Dyspraxic Fundamentalist, what is your first name? It would be a lot easier than spelling out "Dyspraxic Fundamentalist" every time I address you.

 
At 07 December, 2005 19:47, Blogger Julia said...

erm the last work day..tuesday.

 
At 08 December, 2005 00:33, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Sure, my name is Matthew.

Chips are quite varied. Most of the one's I eat are cooked in the oven and so are far less greasy.

Thanks for the link to my blog.

 
At 09 December, 2005 05:38, Blogger Carey said...

No problem. I find it quite refreshing to know there are still people in my generation that value solid theology and a Biblical worldview.

 
At 09 December, 2005 07:55, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Thats a vote of confidence and a half!

God Bless

Matthew

 
At 09 December, 2005 19:58, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Chips? Hehehehe... Have you seen that part in LOTR the Two Towers? Gollum: "Whats taters, precious??" *laughing*

Just the same, more meat is good.

 
At 10 December, 2005 00:54, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Give it to me raw and wriggly.

 
At 10 December, 2005 12:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have pointed out that as Americans...we alsways choose to snack on the wrong things. I make a point at company potlucks to bring the "greens" like a salad or a veggie tray.
Personally...I learned about the discipline od grazing...that is eatting small meals all day as I am hungry. I'm 47 and I am complimented on how I do not look my age. I have a sight spare tire but not like others of my same age. When the holidays come around...I eat until I am satisfied...then I leave the table. I have had a few hosts who wanted to push more food on me...but I am firm and polite..."Thank you for the offer, but I have had enough for the moment. If I have room later on...I will ask." I wish you success on you diet...and that you maintain it from here on out.

 
At 15 December, 2005 15:17, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

My personal opinion?
Dieating is over rated.
Run about five miles a day and you can eat anything.

 
At 28 December, 2005 21:29, Blogger Carey said...

Jason, until I diet, running five miles a day is quite impossible for me. Right now, I consider one mile an accomplishment. Besides, I could use some discipline in my life... right??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home