14 October 2005

Attack of the Organizer

My mother has this talent of magically multiplying one project into one hundred projects.

I wanted to move my two desks to the other side of my bedroom, thinking it might open up more space and help me study better (for a mid-term exam in English tommorrow). Mom agreed to help me.

First we had to clear all the junk off the desks. Then Mom had the idea of relocating some of my books to a closet shelf... well, that required moving a heavy box and my luggage set.

"No, that won't work after all. Let's move the books to the chest of drawers. Move the box and luggage back where it was." Mom finds a plastic container in the corner of the closet with old t-shirts. "Let's move that to the shelf over here... oh, but your socks are there. Can we put them into another container?"

I dissuade her from further "messing up" my groove, "Look, we'll put the shirts into this box with the out of season clothes."

Mom moves to the desks again.

"No! Don't throw away my notebooks!"

"Carey, get the vaccum. When's the last time you vacuumed in here?"

"Uh... a while."

"Carey, take these dust ruffles off so we can wash them." She lifts up the dust ruffles to peer under my bed. "Oh my goodness, child!" I am doomed. She knows. Now we must take everything from beneath my bed and go through it.

"When is the last time you vacuumed under your bed?"

"Never." Who vaccuums under their bed??

Now for moving furniture. The iron bed must be moved two feet to the left. Oh dear. Now more vacuuming.

"Have you vacuumed around the baseboards? Ew, your windowsill is filthy! When was the last time..."

"Don't ask."

Needless to say, it took seven hours to move two pieces of furniture ten feet.

5 Comments:

At 17 October, 2005 05:56, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Sounds like fun.
But now when you study, you'll be breathing clean, fresh air!

Why was she throwing your notebooks out?

 
At 17 October, 2005 16:29, Blogger Carey said...

Why? Because the pages were full of my scribbly notes and stuff.

As a writer and artist, scribbly notes are very important to me, but Mom doesn't quite understand.

 
At 18 October, 2005 07:29, Blogger Hannah said...

This morning I was cleaning out the area between my bed, my bedstand and the wall. I found 7 notebooks FULL of scribbly notes!! But I kept them all, because they are important. Scribbles can often express more about a moment than an entire page.
(Sorry, random thought there...)
Tell your mom that she shouldn't throw away your notebooks because one day you may be a famous writer, and your random writings will be worth millions.

 
At 19 October, 2005 15:00, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* Millions? Haha.

 
At 05 November, 2005 15:24, Blogger Carey said...

That's pretty much how I operate - moving the junk piles and hiding them in the closet or under my bed when company comes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home