16 December 2006

Abundance and Need

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11-13)
Christmas is my favorite time of year. Not because of the decorations and the over-abundance of sugar (which I can't eat anyway). Not because of the cold weather and caroling (although I do like both). Not even because of the tree and the gifts. For me, Christmas is when God's hand is most evidently seen providing in my life... especially this year.

This year the Lord saw it fit to strip me financially (not that finances aren't tight all the time anyway). Most would say that's rough, but I am excited to see how the Lord will provide. All my life, I've seen His hand provide for my family and I have no doubt He will do so again.

My dad called the other day to inform me that my parents' mini-van was on the fritz (yet again). They needed to borrow money to repair it before something exploded. It took most of my savings to cover the costs, but I was just glad we could get it fixed before the van went BOOM. There was just one little problem. The money in savings was for Christmas presents.

"Mom, no rush... but when do you think you'd be able to pay me back? That was Christmas money."

"Umm... January."

"Oh... okay. Well... Merry Christmas! Your van is fixed!"

That leaves very little for parents, siblings, grandmas, nieces, and friends (but maybe I could give them all I.O.U. notes for January). Not a problem, because I know my Heavenly Father will abundantly provide as He always does.

2 Comments:

At 18 December, 2006 18:32, Blogger Redeemed said...

The Lord will see you through this, Carey, and as you said, He will be faithful to provide. Our God always comes through!

 
At 19 December, 2006 14:22, Blogger Carey said...

Amen! He certainly does.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home