02 November 2006

A Symbol of Commitment

Mama got Jer and I 'purity rings' for our birthdays this year. I just got mine this Tuesday. It reads: I am my beloved's -- my beloved is mine.

For the past couple of days, I've been showing off my ring to friends. No, don't look at the scar tissue -- No, I'm not engaged.

"So what does that ring mean to you?" my friend Beth asked.

That got me to thinking. A ring on that finger does mean something. Lots of people call them 'purity rings,' but I consider that term trite. For me, it's more than just a symbol of saving sex for marriage. I chose this particular ring for a reason. The inscription means a lot to me.

I am my beloved's... my beloved is mine. The original meaning was meant for a future spouse, but that's not what it means for me. The name "Beloved" is reserved only for my Lord Jesus. Not even my husband gets that name. My ring is a symbol and a reminder that Jesus Christ will always have first place in my heart. I am His, and He is mine. Everyone else comes second.

It is not just a purity ring... it is not just a promise ring... it is a symbol of a lifetime of commitment to Christ. Matthew 6:33 tells us to "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." The context speaks of physical needs, but I also think that when we seek Christ first, everything else falls into place beautifully. Because I love Christ and want to please Him I want to keep myself physically and spiritually pure.
And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)

8 Comments:

At 02 November, 2006 12:01, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

Awesome

 
At 02 November, 2006 17:54, Blogger Kathryn said...

Excellent, excellent. May I ask what happened to your fingers?

 
At 02 November, 2006 19:31, Blogger Redeemed said...

Wish more people (guys AND girls) were as dedicated to purity and to Jesus Christ as you are, Carey!

Those are great rings. During this past summer, the young teen girls and guys at our church had to take a course teaching them purity. At the end of the course, the girls got the purity rings, and the boys got a dog tag with a Bible verse inscription. Forgot which verse though.

And OUCH, that's a serious burn!!!

 
At 02 November, 2006 19:43, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

redeemed, if you find out, please let me know. And the dog tag is something that the boys really would wear. GREAT idea! I want one!

 
At 03 November, 2006 06:16, Blogger RobertDWood said...

"And the dog tag is something that the boys really would wear. GREAT idea! I want one! "

hehehe...:D

That burn looks like it HURT.

 
At 03 November, 2006 08:32, Blogger Carey said...

Yeah, it did hurt. Made me squeak with pain (I squeak when I'm in major pain - physical or emotional). But it looks better than it did on Monday.

How did it happen? Two words: exploding chicken. Mom was defrosting/cooking chicken in the microwave for way too long... in a closed ziploc bag (never try that). I opened the micro, touched the bag, and...

KABLOOOOOM!

I squeaked and promptly ran to the sink to put my hand under some cold water. Went through about ten bags of ice that evening. By Monday my fingers were swollen, purple, and oozing (I'm sure you really wanted to know that, lol).

 
At 03 November, 2006 09:40, Blogger Redeemed said...

lool, poor Carey. Love your new pic ;)

Dog tags are way cool for guys...and girls too! Will try and find out what was that verse tonight.

 
At 03 November, 2006 14:36, Blogger Carey said...

Are you laughing at my squeaking?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home