27 March 2006

Hippie Professors

I personally think hippies make the best college professors. My two favorite professors, Dr. Franklin (Lit) and Ms. Comeaux (History), have quite unconventional ways of teaching -- and I love it!

At the beginning of classes, Dr. Franklin didn't even have a syllabus... still doesn't. He just kind of goes with the flow, but at the same time is very challenging -- he challenges me to think. I really appreciate that. Most college professors give you some dull assignment, tell you to read such-and-such chapter, and there will be a quiz on Friday. Dr. Franklin's class is more like a philosophical discussion between professor and class.

Ms. Comeaux was also a hippie (I should say is a hippie - once a hippie, always a hippie). She is slightly more structured than Dr. Franklin, but she is also very flexible and makes history fun. We always have several good laughs in history class.

7 Comments:

At 27 March, 2006 07:38, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Do you think I will be a hippie professor when I am in academia?

 
At 27 March, 2006 10:33, Blogger Julia said...

Mathew- Im going to asnwer that.:p
NO.
Carey- I guess its the learning curve because I like the random teaching thing too.

 
At 27 March, 2006 13:23, Blogger Carey said...

He could be, but I'd have to work on him. ;-) Matthew, you must take Hippie 101 before becoming a hippie professor. *chuckle*

 
At 27 March, 2006 23:46, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

What is that?

I got rid of my long hair when I was 21 and I was pretty conservative even before then.

 
At 28 March, 2006 05:07, Blogger Carey said...

Hippie 101 is something I made up.

I still can't picture you with long hair.

 
At 28 March, 2006 05:54, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Gosh... Hippies?
Ever talk about politics in class?

 
At 28 March, 2006 09:03, Blogger Carey said...

Oh yeah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home