24 March 2006

Gay Marriage Debate

Danielle sat across the table from me, flipping through a schedule and deciding what classes she was going to take in the summer. We chatted while I polished off my odd lunch of homemade pizza, granola bar, and broccoli. Somehow our conversation lead to politics and then gay marriage.

"Are you really religious?" Danielle looked up from her schedule.

"I believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and everything in it to be true," I replied.

"Ah..." I wasn't sure what her look meant. It looked like it said 'Oh great.' "Well, are you able to separate your religion from politics?"

"No, my faith permeates every area of my life. I do not compartmentalize."

Danielle, of course, believed that gay marriage should be legalized. And of course I disagreed. The ensuing debate was interesting, and I think she was surprised at how civil I was. She was probably expecting me to be an ugly, bigoted anti-gay right-wing activist. This is basically what I told her what my view was...

I have no doubt that there are former homosexuals among God's chosen people. (I certainly hope so, because my grandfather was a homosexual -- another story for another day.) The government cannot dictate a person's sexual orientation and should not meddle in such private affairs in that. However, God specifically dictated His plans for sex: within the boundaries of marriage between a man and a woman. The government should uphold this sacred union that the Lord established (though it has degenerated within society).

I have noticed that human sexuality (and everything else) seems to follow this pattern of degeneration...
... Generation 1 fails in responsibility to educate Generation 2 in godly morality or indifference of Generation 1 causes Generation 2 to rebel against hipocrisy of Generation 1.
... Generation 2 rebels and throws aside teachings of Generation 1.
... Gradual decrease in sexual morality that trickles into Generation 3 (and sometimes 4).
... Marriage & family are undermined and loses sacredness: extra-marital sex, divorce, broken homes, etc.
... Marriage & family are no longer clearly defined and "anything goes."

From my grandparent's generation to mine, all this has occured: the hypocrisy of the 1950s "perfect family;" the Sexual Revolution, Women's Lib Movement, hippies, etc. of my mother's generation; the open embrace of homosexuality in my generation.

Homosexuals and lesbians want the government to legalize gay marriage so that they can have the financial and social benefits of a married heterosexual couple -- not out of "love" for each other as they would tell you. "Love" is confused with "lust."
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it
is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily
angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but
rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes,
always perseveres. (1 Cor. 13:4-7)


I can have a deep love for another woman as my sister in Christ without it being remotely sexual. The same for men.

Satan takes what God has created and twists it into something ugly. He cannot create, only twist. That is what sin is -- something God created, only twisted. Take any sin and it is merely a deviant of God's ordinances.

11 Comments:

At 24 March, 2006 11:18, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Sound thoughts, Carey.

 
At 24 March, 2006 19:28, Blogger Carey said...

Thank you, Ric. I appreciate people who respect other's views. And thank you for complementing my writing! That's one of the best compliments I've received!

 
At 24 March, 2006 21:08, Blogger Redeemed said...

Well said, Carey!

 
At 25 March, 2006 08:58, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

1. Indeed, the USA is not godly, but tolerating homosexuality is not godliness.

2. Well, you have a constitution to protect your freedoms. Do you have a constitutional right to perform homosexual acts?

3. God hates all sin, but sin which has serious consequences needs to be punished.

4. Indeed. That is why we need laws to make clear what behavior is acceptable.

5. The same could be said of those who commit all crimes. The offer of the Gospel does not rule out the need for governments to deal with evil behavior.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 25 March, 2006 11:11, Blogger Carey said...

Then we should also execute those who have pre-marital and extra-marital sex, because that's what they did in the Old Testament.

 
At 25 March, 2006 12:39, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Actually that is not an accurate description of law in the OT.

A man who had sex with another man's wife would be executed as would one who had sex with a virgin who was engaged to another. A woman who committted adultery would be executed.

If a man had sex with a virgin who was not engaged, her father could demand that he marry her or else pay compensation to her.

However, other than this, there was no penalty against extra-marital sex or prostitution.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 25 March, 2006 15:06, Blogger Carey said...

Right, right. I forgot about that.

But still, there really isn't anything we can do about it except preach God's Word. No one who advocates homosexual and adulterer execution is going to be elected to any public office.

 
At 26 March, 2006 04:04, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Very true.

 
At 29 March, 2006 20:05, Blogger Kathryn said...

Well said! *applauds*
That's an interesting point of view-God created "sin" in its perfect form, but then Satan twisted it to become "evil". Hm. I do believe I've something to chew on as I drift off.

Ciao.

 
At 01 September, 2006 18:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://nndbjbwq.com/cink/djvi.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://wrkrzjfv.com/bnzh/oieo.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 01 September, 2006 18:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://nndbjbwq.com/cink/djvi.html | http://jkgmmlzq.com/kfnq/jqhy.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home