23 March 2006

My Grandmother

My grandma is at our house right now. She is funny -- constantly talking about her wealthy friends and their vacations, trying to hook me up with an Ivy League grad, etc. (why is everyone trying to hook me up?) I marvel at her focus on material things (which is probably why my mom was a hippie). My grandma is sweet and I love her, but I cannot understand her social circle. I always feel very out of place with the company she keeps (upscale Dallas residents).

Do I want to see pictures from your family vacation to Greece?
Sure, but you're not on the same planet I am.

My first 'vacation' was a fancy tour of the UK with my grandma, but all the other trips I have taken were on God's tab -- South African shanties and a soup kitchen, all the free things to do in London for a day, repairing sheet-rock ceilings in a Mexican orphanage in the peak of summer. Those are my favourite 'vacations.'

Sorry for the rambling. I got on my soap-box about upper-middle class snobs. *slaps self*

Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation, but the rich in his humiliation, because as a flower of the field he will pass away. For no sooner has the sun risen with a burning heat than it withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beautiful appearance perishes. So the rich man also will fade away in his pursuits. (James 1:9-11)

7 Comments:

At 23 March, 2006 17:38, Blogger Julia said...

Do you like hitting yourself all of a sudden?

 
At 23 March, 2006 17:45, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* It's called self-abuse. No, I'm being silly. I don't hit myself.

 
At 23 March, 2006 18:40, Blogger Redeemed said...

Haha, Carey, you're so funny.

I can just imagine you rolling your eyes.

Seriously though, that is really neat that you got to go to South Africa and to Mexico, working for the Lord. What was that like?

Thx,
Sarah A. (from Canada)

 
At 23 March, 2006 19:52, Blogger Carey said...

Those were some of the most incredible experiences of my life. I'll have to write about them sometime on my blog and post pictures from the trips.

 
At 24 March, 2006 00:33, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Thanks for sharing that.

My grandmother is of working class origin.
My grandfather on my father's side is pretty middle-class.

God Bless

Matthew

 
At 24 March, 2006 00:34, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I like the new look.

 
At 24 March, 2006 05:59, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks. Those who know me well will know that I like frequent change and will probably change the template every month or so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home