22 March 2006

An Unusual Door

The Lord brought me a 'mission opportunity' today. It happened in a rather unusual way. (No rhyming intended.)

During my lunch break I sit at a table in the commons area (usually by myself) and journal while I eat. This time I did not sit alone. A Vietnamese woman sat next to me and watched with interest as I wrote.

"Your handwriting is beautiful," she complimented.

"Oh, thank you."

"May I look at your journal?" she inquired. No living person has ever opened my journal. It is a window into my heart that I am reluctant to open, but I let her look. She studied the striped cover before flipping through the pages, complimenting my sketches, poetry and writing. I felt like I was laying my life open for the viewing, but I have nothing to hide. When people read my life I want them to see Jesus.

We visited for a while. She has been in the US for three years and is working for her LVN license at NCTC. She told me it was her first semester and she was waiting nervously to take an exam. Excited to discover that I was an English major, she shyly asked if I would help her with her writing for an English class.

"Could... do you think maybe you could tutor me?"

"Of course, I'd love to help you." I strategically wrote my e-mail address on a gospel tract. May this bear fruit to the glory of my Lord.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. He even used my English to make a way. It was an unusual door. Now I shall never ask the question, "What do you do with an English degree?" Use it to share the gospel.

9 Comments:

At 22 March, 2006 21:40, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

That's Awsome!
Very clever.

 
At 23 March, 2006 01:26, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

That is great.

I helped a Chinese guy practise his English when I was doing my degree. I cannot remember if I shared much of my faith with him.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matt

 
At 23 March, 2006 06:00, Blogger Redeemed said...

Amen, that's great and so encouraging.

I love openings like that. Way to go, Carey.

 
At 23 March, 2006 08:49, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Haha. That takes some guts to ask some one if you can look through there diary.

 
At 23 March, 2006 08:59, Blogger Carey said...

Yeah. Under most circumstances, if someone looked in my journal, I would have to take them out. Haha. Just kidding.

My name is Carey Nofziger. You read my journal. Prepare to die.

 
At 23 March, 2006 09:15, Blogger Redeemed said...

Lol

Please don't kill me, I read Carey's journal everyday. Haha

You can shoot a rubber band if you want. I'll get my vaccum out...

 
At 23 March, 2006 09:26, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* As long as you don't read my paper journal you're fine.

 
At 23 March, 2006 13:03, Blogger Consecrated said...

Oh Carey, My heart was bubbling over as I read what you said. I just LOVE it when you share your feelings about the Lord and your desire that he be seen in your life.

May the Lord bless you as you attempt to witness to this girl.

 
At 23 March, 2006 13:57, Blogger Carey said...

Thank you, Leila. I love talking about my Beloved!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home