18 March 2006

Becoming All Things to All Men

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you. (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)
"I am free from all men" ~ Paul uses the Greek word eleutheros [el-yoo'-ther-os], which literally means 'free, exempt, unrestrained, not bound by an obligation.'

"I have made myself a servant to all" ~ Yet in the same sentence he also claims to be douloo [doo-lo'-o], a slave or a bound man to all people, for the sake of the gospel. Douloo is a derivative of doulos [doo'-los], which takes 'slave' a step further: 'devoted to another to the disregard of one's own interests.' This word is also used in Matthew 20:27...
And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave.
Paul explains that in order to share the gospel, he becomes a chameleonn" of sorts...
  • To the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews.
  • To those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law.
  • To those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law.
  • To the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak.
The beautiful thing about the Christian faith is that it is mulit-cultural. You do not need to adopt a different culture and name to become a believer. You are not required to learn another language in order to read the Bible - you can read God's word for yourself in your own language.

What great freedom we have in Christ! We can come to Him just as we are. What incredible mercy - that God loved us and sent His only Son to die on our behalf, so that He sees us through the veil that is Christ's righteousness.

He gives us the ability to become all things to all men so we can share His Love.
...I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel'’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.


6 Comments:

At 18 March, 2006 14:09, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Good thoughts, Carey.

 
At 18 March, 2006 15:04, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks, Matthew. Not as good as yours, though.

 
At 18 March, 2006 15:12, Blogger Redeemed said...

Thank you for reminding us of that, Carey!

I enjoyed reading your post. Your thoughts are always encouraging.

You're a good sister in the Lord!

 
At 18 March, 2006 15:50, Blogger Carey said...

So are you! You are now my officially unofficial adopted sister.

 
At 18 March, 2006 18:07, Blogger Redeemed said...

That's official enough for me. :)

 
At 18 March, 2006 18:50, Blogger Carey said...

Great, and I'm adopting your mom too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home