13 March 2006

The Bridget Jones Mentality

Since we didn't get to go to the gardens today, Julia and I headed to Blockbuster to rent some movies. We decided on both Bridget Jones movies and headed to my house (because my family is more quiet and I have my own room in which to watch movies). Julia and I had both read the first Bridget Jones book and thought the movies would be funny too. We had plenty of laughs, but I was still irritated at Bridget's views on men and romance.

Here it comes... you know I'm going to get on my soap box.

Anyone familiar with Bridget will know about her longing for a man to "complete" her and her moping during non-boyfriend periods. Even though Bridget Jones is supposed to be a comedy, I find the underlying message very depressing. Love without Christ won't last and you will never find another human that will complete you. Your spouse can compliment you, but never complete. Only Christ can complete an incomplete human.
For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, Who is the head of all principality and power. (Colossians 2:9-10)
The Greek word for "complete" in this verse is "pleroo" [play-ro'-o] and it literally means "to fill to the full." Reminds me of Psalm 23:5 - "... my cup overflows." What's really awesome is that Christ, in Whom dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily and Who is the head of all principality and power, completes a sinful human like me! Just a smudge on the face of the earth, a passing wisp of smoke and the Creator of heaven and earth has a consistent and passionate love for me. Wow.

I just get frustrated when even Christian women hold this erroneous view. They have no idea that they can have a Love that does complete them - more deep and passionate than any mere mortal man could ever provide.

My Beloved spoke, and said to me: "“Rise up, My love, my fair one, and come away. For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. The fig tree puts forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grapes give a good smell. Rise up, My love, my fair one, and come away! O My dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the cliff, let Me see your face, let Me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely." My Beloved is mine, and I am His. (Song of Solomon 2:10-14,16a)

Though I admit that it would be nice to have "love with some skin on it," I would be perfectly content to wait until my Bridegroom takes me in His arms.

17 Comments:

At 13 March, 2006 18:18, Blogger Redeemed said...

Amen, Carey.

 
At 13 March, 2006 19:33, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

Hold on to that.
That is powerful and will gewt you far.

 
At 13 March, 2006 21:15, Blogger Julia said...

Colin Firth is like so adorable. I dont think hes physically attractive but his character- whats not to love other than the fact that hes dumb enough to love a total IDIOT?
Yeah that makes no sense to anyone but me.... All that to say I am really started to enjoy guys for their personalities.

 
At 13 March, 2006 21:19, Blogger Carey said...

I though Colin Firth's character, Mark Darcy, was adorable. Bridget didn't deserve him. Besides, guys like that don't really exist.

 
At 14 March, 2006 01:19, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Good thoughts, Carey.

 
At 14 March, 2006 05:35, Blogger Redeemed said...

Carey, I like your new picture.

It's kinda mysterious, and intriguing, hehe.

 
At 14 March, 2006 07:18, Blogger Carey said...

Mysterious and intruging... that's me. *chuckle*

 
At 14 March, 2006 08:36, Blogger Julia said...

Yeahhhhhh. Guys that good just havent been invented yet. ;)

 
At 14 March, 2006 09:50, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

Hey now...

 
At 14 March, 2006 18:13, Blogger Julia said...

Haha Jason dont tell me your saying that your "all that" ?
Im such a cynic.

 
At 14 March, 2006 18:24, Blogger Carey said...

No comment from me.

 
At 14 March, 2006 18:32, Blogger Julia said...

Teehee I love it when people comment that they arent commenting. :-)

 
At 14 March, 2006 19:26, Blogger Carey said...

No mortal man is "all that."

 
At 14 March, 2006 21:38, Blogger Julia said...

My thoughts precisly. :-)

 
At 17 March, 2006 07:19, Blogger Carey said...

But I can be persuaded...

 
At 18 March, 2006 15:57, Blogger Carey said...

Jason is pretty close, actually, but I think he's more like Mr. Knightly from Jane Austen's Emma... only crazier.

 
At 20 June, 2006 16:10, Blogger Carey said...

Looking back now, I'd say Jason is "all that." He's not perfect, but he is a godly man and a treasure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home