14 March 2006

Scarred (or Scared) for Life

Originally, I had planned to spend most of today on the couch with my nose in a book. Then Susan called at 10:00 AM and pitifully begged me to come shopping with her and Julia. Sure. So I jumped in the shower and hastily applied some make-up. This shopping place was in some ritzy suburb of Dallas so I gave up my sweats and tennis shoes for some jeans and sandals. Susan finally arrived at my house around 11:30, after several phone calls and wrong turns. We began our one-hour drive, stopping at Sonic for lunch.

Now I finally know what teenage girls do at the mall -- shop 'til they drop (mostly for clothes). I never enjoyed shopping for clothes that much, perhaps it was because of a long-term hate relationship with my body. In one store I tried on a party dress in a stunning teal, but I couldn't bear to pay the $25. Cheap skate, I know, but where does one wear such clothing? Sweat pants and sneakers will do just fine.

I mostly served as fashion consultant for Susan and Julia: that color is good on you, that one isn't, this color washes you out, watch where the fabric gathers, the rouching is in the wrong place, that makes you look pregnant, that's too revealing, etc. They may as well have brought their moms. It's funny that I am quite liberal in some areas, but when it comes to clothing I am very conservative (or at least I am compared to Susan and Jules). Susan says, "If you've got it flaunt it." I have nothing to flaunt (and shame upon you, Susan -- what would you do without me to keep you in line?). For some funny reason, Susan and Jules didn't want to stay in Barnes and Noble. If I had my way, I would have stayed there the entire day with my nose in a book and sipping coffee. But I'm a nice friend.

About half-way through the day I had to remove my right contact, which was scratching my eye. It was interesting to shop half-blind, but all I had to do was sit on a couch and wait for Julia and Susan to try clothes on (I gave up after the first store).

The most momentous occasion of the day for me was my first trip to Victoria's Secret. Momentous... ha. The prices were momentous.

"I'm going to be scarred for life," I groaned as we approached the entrance. "Maybe I should take out my other contact lense." I picked up a $45 bra and trudged to the dressing room.

"I wanna see!" I heard in front of my door before two heads popped in. Yep, scarred for life.

"Wow..." Julia gawked, "You're... curvy." Nice way to put it.

"I hate you," Susan pouted.

"That's okay. I hate you for being skinny," I retorted, laughing, "But I'm not paying this much money."

Dinner was eaten in the mall food court before returning home. As long as I live, I never want to eat out again. I've had too much food out and my stomach is paying for it. Now I am on the couch after several shots of Pepto-Bismol and a fistful of Maalox tablets. No more food and socializing... just books (and maybe a few trips to the tredmill).

9 Comments:

At 14 March, 2006 21:35, Blogger Julia said...

Aww Carey you sound as if you didnt have fun! :(
You didnt need to feel obligated!
But anyway.
You could wear a dress like that to church or school- it wasnt too fancy! But it was a good idea to wait, cause you will find tons more better than that one if you keep a look out.
I almost never spend alot of money on things, but that dress I just fell in love with and had already prepared myself to spend that money. (really im a penny pincher of sorts). I cant wait to wear it sunday!
I enjoyed having you tell us what you thought about the clothes, I hope that wasnt too boring for you!
I enjoy the Mall when I go to The Mall with susan- because thats what she goes for.
Sometime though you and I should go to up there for the B&N!
Twould be fun and relaxing.
And do remember, we offered to come back for you later....and we wouldve been there when we said!
Carey, Your a girl, of course youve "got" something to flaunt, you silly.
Why did you give up on clothes?
I thought there were alot of things that wouldve been cute on you!
But if you noticed, so did I haha. Not to mention that I really didnt need to spend anymore money!
And woops I shouldve warned you about Victoria Secrets prices!
Its too bad you didnt get your ears pierced, we should do that at the denton mall soon.
ROFLOL Carey about the dressing room, I hope we didnt leave you too disturbed!
And of course your curvy, I happen to be very slender- just the way life goes- hope you dont mind our joshing!
And Im VERY sorry your tummy aches! We will def be sure to not eat out again this week!!!!!!!!!!!
And remember, you have all of tomorrow for R&R so be a good girl and rest up for the next few days!
Love ya and sorry for the long comment and random notes!
Jules
Overall did you enjoy being in girl world somewhat?

 
At 15 March, 2006 00:51, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

No way would I wear contact lenses. I love my spectacles.

I used to go clothes shopping with my ex-fiance. It would have been fun if she had not always been complaining about how tired and stressed she was.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 15 March, 2006 10:33, Blogger Carey said...

Julia - I did have fun. I liked giving you clothing advice. Can't wait to see the dress at church (with you in it of course, lol). That is an adorable dress you got. Very cute and feminine.

No worries about the tummy ache. I knew it would happen; it is my own fault. Now I am going back to eating like a bunny rabbit.

Matthew - I would be curious to see what you look like without glasses, nevertheless. They suit you very well, I think. I am becoming more inclined to wear my glasses all the time. The contacts have probably scratched my corneas because I used to wear them all the time.

People who complain irritate me, so I try very hard never to complain about anything (and when I do complain it startles my family and they think something is terribly wrong with me). My motto is "Suffer in silence."

 
At 15 March, 2006 10:44, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I do not like complaining either. I am sorry if I do it sometimes on my blog.

God Bless

Matthew

 
At 15 March, 2006 19:22, Blogger Julia said...

Geez Carey. Just for future reference, if you dont tell me when your unhappy, I will be very sad...

 
At 15 March, 2006 19:23, Blogger Carey said...

No, no... quite all right. It doesn't annoy me at all.

 
At 15 March, 2006 19:23, Blogger Carey said...

I wasn't unhappy, Jules.

 
At 15 March, 2006 19:25, Blogger Julia said...

I know, just if you ever are. :-)

 
At 15 March, 2006 21:06, Blogger Carey said...

Julia, you and Susan are so entertaining. I'd have a hard time being miserable.

Besides, I'm usually a pretty happy person and rarely get down in the dumps (thank God - a few years ago I was a very depressed person).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home