15 April 2006

Baby Blues

It was a big jump to go from a university library to a baby shower, but I did it. Got to see Maggie and baby Caroline. She was so tiny! I don't know what to do with newborns. They almost scare me -- so tiny and fragile -- I'm even afraid to breathe around them. The last time I was around a newborn was when Hannah's little sister Miriam was born (which was eight years ago).

I didn't stay for the whole shower becuase I had to run some errands before heading home to continue writing my paper. That was okay with me. I love Maggie and her family, but being a single college girl, I felt so awkward around all those mommies with young kids. I felt like I was on a different planet.

Jer came with Mom and Bram to the shower (they came in her car) and then left with me. I took him out to lunch and then we went. He desparately needed new clothes. We got him two outfits -- one casual and one for church tommorrow. I'll take some pictures of us in our new outfits (I got one too) tommorrow before church.

While I waited for Jer to try on clothes (which took forever), I stood outside with a pile of clothing in my arms. A little girl sat in a shopping cart nearby.

"Hi, what's your name?" she chirped.

"Carey... what's yours?"

"Samantha!"

"Nice to meet you, Samantha. How old are you?"

"Three... again!"

"Again?" I laughed.

"Do you have kids?" she asked innocently.

"No, not yet."

"Okay." She proceeded to show me her new pink swimsuit. I got a kick out of how outgoing she was. According to my mom, that's how I was at that age. Still holds true. I strike up conversations with strangers quite easily. If only this paper would come so easily...

7 Comments:

At 15 April, 2006 17:42, Blogger RobertDWood said...

I'm sure Jer will love having a picture of him up here. :D

 
At 15 April, 2006 18:47, Blogger Carey said...

Hehe... yeah.

 
At 15 April, 2006 19:57, Blogger Redeemed said...

That's funny.

I too went to the mall today, and yep, I too got appraochd by a stanger as I was getting coffee.

I pulled out a tract to give to her when she claimed she was "saved". She gave off a weirdo vibe though, especially when she went on and on about spiritual gifts.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!!!

 
At 16 April, 2006 06:32, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I know about baby showers and bridal showers, but I do not think we do them in England.

God Bless

Matthew

 
At 16 April, 2006 07:13, Blogger Julia said...

aww cute baby.

 
At 16 April, 2006 10:00, Blogger Carey said...

Personally, I think they are pointless, but that may just be due to the fact that I am always uncomfortable around females who are getting married or having babies. Totally different planet. And they're always in this sort of "nah nah land."

Sarah, a weirdo vibe? Huh. Interesting that she went on and on about spiritual gifts.

Julia, the baby was cute, but I was absolutely terrified of her.

 
At 16 April, 2006 14:58, Blogger Julia said...

Haha thats creepy, but somewhat understandable!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home