10 April 2006

WARNING: Random Content

Today in History, my professor stated something that utterly shocked and irritated me. We are now into the 1840s, which will include Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucretia Mott, and Susan B. Anthony in any history book. I was looking forward to this topic, because I chose to study and write about feminism in the US from 1840 to today. I heard all the things I expected to hear until my professor stated that Stanton and Anthony were lesbian lovers for over 40 years. My jaw dropped. You have got to be kidding me. She went on to say that the women who stood strong for women's rights were mostly lesbian, blah, blah, blah (doesn't that sound intellectual?). What makes people automatically link feminism and lesbianism together? This is one of my many soap boxes. Many people (esp. Christians) think that feminists are heathen, man-hating [fill in the blank]s out to promote lesbian love. Not so. This is a topic for another post. I need to find that 15-page paper I wrote.

After classes were over, I ran a couple of errands -- one including Barnes and Noble. Ahh, bliss! Coffee, books, coffee... Seriously, I had to go find a study guide for Frankenstein -- it was a legitimate excuse to go into my favorite bookstore. I really did end up in the language section by accident. Purely accident (even though it just happens to be one of my favorite sections). Dictionaries, phrase books, CDs and tapes in more languages than I can learn in one lifetime. I looked for a Finnish dictionary, just for fun, but was unsuccessful. Instead, I found a beginner's French CD set to play during my commute. If I am going to Montreal this summer, I need to brush up on my French! C'est bon! That reminds me... I need to brush up on my Spanish too. No one in Mexico will understand me in French. *chuckle* (I'll be working mostly with children so I will have no problem with that, seeing as I possess the Spanish of a five-year-old. I can carry on fluent conversations about coloring, animals, food, and basic Bible stories.)

That also reminds me... I need to do some posts with pictures about my trips to the UK, South Africa, and Mexico. Maybe I need a world traveller blog.

21 Comments:

At 10 April, 2006 15:49, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Finnish is not a popular language. It is so difficult that hardly anybody ever bothers to learn it.

Stanton's 'Woman's Bible' is one of the most annoying books you could ever read.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 10 April, 2006 16:10, Blogger Carey said...

You shall have to speak some Finnish for me. I don't think I've ever heard it spoken.

 
At 10 April, 2006 17:15, Blogger Redeemed said...

Lol, Carey, that post made me laugh. You really are a good writer!

You'll get to brush up on your French all you want when you come here. And on your Spanish too, we are seriously going to a Mexican restaurant, since I love Mexican food.

I stink at Spanish. Once, a lady strated speaking to me in Spanish, and I actually told her "me no abla what u abla". She gave me the look of the death, and since then, I stick to French.

But you can practice with my mom, since she speaks a little bit of it. She does quite well actually!

 
At 10 April, 2006 17:19, Blogger Julia said...

it is scary about the lesbian thing. GOD I hated the gayness in the movie.

 
At 10 April, 2006 17:35, Blogger Carey said...

Sarah, you made me laugh out loud. ME no abla what u abla... hahaha. Your mom and I can practice Spanish together. Goodness, how many languages does she speak??

Julia, which movie? There are lots of gay movies on the loose now. UGH.

 
At 10 April, 2006 19:03, Blogger Hannah said...

I'd be interested in hearing your take on feminism sometime....

 
At 11 April, 2006 04:29, Blogger Carey said...

When I have the time, I shall definitely post on that. I'd like to find that paper I wrote last year.

Eventually, I want to write a book that takes feminism and Biblical womanhood. Maybe you all will get a preview on my blog.

 
At 11 April, 2006 07:02, Blogger Kathryn said...

"I looked for a Finnish dictionary..."

Oh, gosh...Finnish is AWESOME. I have a good friend from Finland. The accent is cool, but it's extremely complictaed.
All I know is Goldfish = kultakala and cat = kissa (Kool-tah-call-ag and kees-sah).
If you find one, tell me where, I've been looking.

 
At 11 April, 2006 07:03, Blogger Julia said...

Oh wait.........I was thinking of Alexander. Hehe.
Blondy moment!

 
At 11 April, 2006 07:05, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Ditto on Hannah Beth.

What are you doing in montreal?

 
At 11 April, 2006 07:08, Blogger Carey said...

Visting friends

 
At 11 April, 2006 08:22, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Asplode, did you visit one of my blogs once?

Yes, Finnish is really cool, but extremely difficult.

I love the way Finnish people are so quiet and the way they appear so serious.

God Bless

Matthew

 
At 11 April, 2006 17:04, Blogger Carey said...

Like you, Matthew? *chuckle* Even though I am not quiet and reserved by nature, I like people who are.

Madd, if I find a Finnish dictionary, I'll grab a copy for and maybe one for Matthew, if he wants.

 
At 12 April, 2006 00:42, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I already have one. thanks.

 
At 12 April, 2006 05:52, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Haha.
I would hope so.
Hard to learn a language without it.

Do you ever listen to the music from the country in whos language your trying to learn? Like I listen to fiesta/salsa music, albeit for a very short time.
Ever listen to french of finnish music?

 
At 12 April, 2006 07:45, Blogger Carey said...

I love salsa music! It's fun to dance to! [No comments, Matthew.]

 
At 12 April, 2006 09:20, Blogger Redeemed said...

Most of French music stinks...

There are but a rare few that I really like (Notre Dame de Paris, Garou)

 
At 12 April, 2006 21:30, Blogger Carey said...

One of my favourite operas is in French. Can anyone guess what it is?

 
At 13 April, 2006 15:41, Blogger Redeemed said...

Wait, I checked your profile, I think I know.

Is it Le phantome de l'opera? (too lazy to get the accents in, yet not lazy enough to write this entire explanation as to why I did not put the accents in)

 
At 13 April, 2006 17:44, Blogger Carey said...

No, The Phantom of the Opera is a musical about opera... not an actual opera. Weird, I know.

Guess again!

 
At 14 April, 2006 06:21, Blogger Redeemed said...

That is weird. I didn't know that.

Hum, let me keep guessing.

Is it La Boheme?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home