05 April 2006

Due Date

I have been told never to pray for two things: patience and trials. I must be a glutton for punishment. It's been four months since my last "trial" and I guess I was in for another trying period. This morning my computer died... and none of my files were backed up. I have lost everything -- my school papers, my poetry, my plays, my short stories -- but most importantly, my photography. All of my nature photography is gone. I can re-write papers and stories, but I will never be able to photograph the same sunset, the same tree, or the same water droplet. It's all gone.

Surprisingly, I have a peace about this. There are times in my life where God "pulls out the rug" and I have to start from scratch with everything -- relationships, a home, church. Life is so fragile. I take for granted the things and people I love. They could be taken away from me unexpectedly or drastically change at a moment's notice.

This has just confirmed in my mind even more how fleeting life really is. And I have also learned that I should back up my files. If only I could do that with people and go back to the ways things were when something gets messed up. Unfortunately, you can't erase that.

10 Comments:

At 05 April, 2006 10:42, Blogger Rose~ said...

What a bummer. My heart goes out to you and I respect your calm attitude.

 
At 05 April, 2006 13:38, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks, Rose.

 
At 05 April, 2006 14:06, Blogger RobertDWood said...

For future backup,
https://mediamax.streamload.com/index.aspx
Good way to back up stuff off site.

So did you have to reinstall windows?

 
At 05 April, 2006 15:01, Blogger Redeemed said...

Sorry to hear that, Carey. That does stink.

But you have a great attitude towards things like that, and your maturity and outlook on life/God is very beautiful and encouraging.

Like your previous post, we must give thanks to the Lord for the things we do have.

 
At 05 April, 2006 15:49, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks for the link, Robert. Dave had to clear my hard drive. Now it is in a case and I can hook it up to my parents' computer via USB cable to store documents and such.

Sarah, thank you. Yes, we must give thanks in all situations - even if we can't see the outcome.

 
At 05 April, 2006 21:47, Blogger Kathryn said...

Wow. I totally respect and am impressed by your calmness toward this. I lost about fifteen of my poems and other irreplacable files when my laptop unexpectedly died. My heart goes out to you.
God's still in control.

 
At 06 April, 2006 05:09, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

It is easy toi take things for granted. Maybe I was doing that about the internet.

Backing up files is a good idea. My father nags me about that.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 06 April, 2006 07:23, Blogger Carey said...

Yay! Matthew's back!

Madd, when my parent's computer died a few years ago I lost about 30+ poems. I was not so calm then. LOL But everything's ok. I'd like to read some of your poetry sometime.

 
At 06 April, 2006 19:38, Blogger Kathryn said...

My poetry is really bad. I can't write. But it's saved me from attempting to end my life several times. Wish I could rhyme. xD

A few of the poems I've written are in my Blog, way back in the archives.

 
At 06 April, 2006 19:42, Blogger Carey said...

I've been reading some of them. Beautiful! Some of my best poetry has come from my 'dark times.' Madd, you don't have to rhyme to be a poet. Poetry, like art, does not need to be structured and conventional to be beautiful. Free verse rocks!

Speaking of unconventional poetry, check out some of E.E. Cummings' work. It defies the laws of the English lanugage itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home