09 September 2006

A Chance to Die

Thursday night provided little sleep due to insomnia -- yet again I faced another school day with four hours of sleep. Classes dragged and I struggled through the day on several caffeinated drinks, returning home in the afternoon with just enough time to pack before leaving for a camp out.

[Our church's JV/Varsity Awana group had a camp out over the weekend and they needed another adult female chaperone and driver, so I volunteered at the last minute to come help out.]

So I came home from classes, helped Jer finish packing the van, and took off for church to meet the rest of the carpool -- decked out in camouflage. Besides Jer, I had two other little boys in the van with me -- Joshua and Craig (both 12). They became my troops and I became their Colonel Carey. With one command I could have them at attention and saluting me -- "Ma'am, yes ma'am!" It was great. Even though I'm five feet tall and anything but intimidating, I still get quite a bit of respect from the opposite gender -- especially little boys.

The kids kept me up most of the night -- either talking with a new JV girl who needed to talk (vent) or trudging around with the boys looking for an imaginary raccoon -- necessitating five Dr. Peppers to keep me going. It was fun, though. I finally crawled into my tent and dozed off for an hour before receiving a prank call from Brent H. on my cell phone. Then the girls were up giggling and talking most of the night. And there was some demon-possessed cat that kept jumping onto the tent and making strange noises.

This morning the kids played several different games and I found myself playing medic -- a girl fell on her head after being catapulted (thankfully no nerve damage or fractures occurred), another had a foot cramp and needed an ice pack, scrapes to be cleaned... those kids never cease to amaze me.

Jer and I just returned home about half an hour ago -- utterly exhausted and thoroughly filthy -- when Mom told us we had a wedding to attend tonight. So much for the nap. I've got a few hours to shower and do homework before leaving again. Due to lack of sleep and other factors, I will most likely cry during the wedding and make an absolute fool of myself.

2 Comments:

At 10 September, 2006 17:46, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Cramped feet? That doesn't sound bad at all.

And cats are crazy at night.

 
At 10 September, 2006 19:36, Blogger Carey said...

I have cramped feet all the time, but this girl had never had a foot cramp before, so she was a little startled. It is really freaky when your foot muscles contract and your foot starts curling in (not to mention it hurts). All you have to do is gently massage it cramp out.

Then I suddenly had a line for foot massages...

Haven't had a cat around in a long time, so I'm not really familiar with feline behavior -- although my family calls me "Kitty" because they say I act like a cat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home