06 September 2006

Today

Last night was Axcess, my church's weekly College Life meeting, so that meant I didn't get home until 11 pm -- which by extension meant 5 and 1/2 hours of sleep. Though usually wide awake upon hitting the floor, this morning I had to literally drag myself out of bed and crawl to the kitchen to make coffee. If you can, picture me stumbling to the kitchen, freakishly messy hair, eyelids slightly glued shut, running into things... it's like a scene from a horror movie.

I sat on the couch in a daze, coffee and Bible in hand, praying that the Lord would still reveal His truth to me despite my comatose state. I looked over my notes from last night's lesson. Shea started the four-week series, "The Missional Life," with loving God. Sounds simple, yet oh how profound that is! Here are some of my notes from last night:

Our love for God should be...

... earnestly holistic, not complacently compartmental.
- Jeremiah 29:13
When the soul does not feast on God earnestly in love, spiritual malnourishment
will show up in every area of life.
... personal obedience, not just private experience.
- John 14:21
- 1 John 2:5, 5:3
True love evidences itself in obedience.
... outwardly expressive, not inwardly passive.
- 1 Peter 3:15
... given out of the same cup from which it was first received.
- 1 John 4:19
- Luke 9:23
Even though I moved very slowly all morning, I managed to get to Statistics class on time (barely). I would have dozed off during the lecture had it not been for Professor Excited next door occasionally shrieking "Ahh-hahh!!"

British Literature would be fun -- had the professor shown up. School policy states that if the professor doesn't show up ten minutes after class should begin, then the students may leave. Some of us stuck around longer, so I took the opportunity to talk about Stonehenge, burial mounds, and Viking excavations, showing my remaining classmates photos from my trips to the UK and brochures I had saved from the Viking settlement in York. (Leave it to me to take over the class if the professor doesn't show up.) Thirty minutes into class time and still no professor, we faithful few finally dispersed.

I took the unexpected break to pay a visit to the coffee shrine... er, shop.

"How many shots of espresso would be considered lethal?" I asked Glenn, the coffee shop guy (and fellow believer).

"Umm... I would recommend you start with two." He passed me a small cup of steaming goodness (which I loaded with Splenda and creamer).

For some odd reason, I was extra alert for Spanish class... unlike the dude sitting next to me who fell asleep during lecture. I don't know how he made it into Intermediate Spanish; he always looks on at my notebook for a translation of the homework assignment (our professor rarely speaks English in class).

Lunch break found me in the company of a former classmate and friend, Danielle, and her posse. Our discussion ranged from the five-second rule (of which I demonstrated by dropping a raisin on the floor and then eating it -- much to the horror of everyone else) to dating and personal purity standards.

"I don't think I could do that," Danielle commented on my antiquated no-kissing policy.

Government was frustrating as usual -- not because I don't love the subject, but because I have a bunch of disrespectful classmates who use lecture time to visit amongst themselves or surf the web on their lap-tops. Even sitting on the front row does not lessen the distraction. I wanted to turn around and shout "SHUT UP!" but refrained because that might (slightly) mar my testimony. Maybe I'll talk privately with the professor to encourage stricter class policy so we can actually learn something. One of the girls actually asked what an oligarchy was!

Before History started, I got to chat for quite some time with one of my classmates. His name is Jonathan and he's one of those sweet, quiet, slightly nerdy types that most people overlook. (I always make it a personal goal of mine to seek out quiet loners and draw them out of their shells.) We discussed classes and our selected majors, which (naturally) lead to talking about international travel and mission trips.

"I went on a mission trip to Sao Paulo, Brazil," he told me.

"Oh, really?" my interest was immediately peaked. "How long were you there?"

"Two months, but I was supposed to be there two years." Jonathan had to leave because of health problems. I asked where he went to church. "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints," he answered.

"Oh, okay." I raised my eyebrows and said nothing more about the subject. I've got to read up on Mormonism again. Now I've got MOs (mission opportunities) in Spanish and History.

So that's today so far. I have another hour at home before I need to leave for work.

8 Comments:

At 06 September, 2006 16:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting classes Carey, and what is Statistics anyway? Its good to see that you are still as forward about God in your posts as you are in real life, IM me when you get the chance. I think you can always catch me on Sunday and on Friday after 5pm. Its wacky but schedules change, lol.

 
At 06 September, 2006 17:51, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

Yep, help out the guys in the back. When I go into a new group, I find where I can fit in/help/lead. And if I can't help lead the group, and if they have a problem with who I am and what I stand for, then I normally go, seek out the outcasts and rally them together, and inturn, lead them. Joyzey, the Leader of the Outcasts

 
At 07 September, 2006 05:09, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Joyzey, you rabblerouser. :D

Carey, He need to be drawn out of his shell, yet he spent two months in Brazil???

And what is an oligarchy? Some time ago, my mind had a meaning for that word. But that has been lost to the mists of time, so please refresh my memory.

 
At 07 September, 2006 05:59, Blogger Redeemed said...

It's nice that you are benefiting from your College life meetings. I think it's important for young Christian adults to be together.

I'm impressed that you waited so long for your British Lit teacher to show up! I don't think I would have waited longer than 15 mins. Good on you, though!!

 
At 07 September, 2006 09:40, Blogger Carey said...

Hey, Dan, thanks for dropping in! Statistics involves more real-life math (as opposed to Algebra which is utterly pointless in my opinion), and things like probability, sampling, etc.

Will try to IM. You still working at Chick-fil-a?

Joy - that a girl! If you're the Leader of the Outcasts, I must be the Leader of the Misfits.

Robert - believe it or not, yes. No one talks to this poor guy and he is anything but outgoing. He seemed more relaxed once I struck up a conversation and started to pull him out of his shell.

Don't tell me you don't know what an oligarchy is. *sighs* It's a government in which a small group exercises control (especially for corrupt and selfish purposes).

I really am benefitting from College Life. There are several girls I'm trying to rally together to do a study group on Joshua Harris' "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" and another book called "Lady in Waiting." We're going to be the Singles With a Purpose group (SWaPs).

 
At 07 September, 2006 10:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the new look, but the wideness of it makes it difficult for me to read/navigate your posts (it is wider than my screen). Am I the only one having this problem???

 
At 07 September, 2006 12:03, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

No, I have that on one of my comps, but you may need to just use a dif browser.

 
At 07 September, 2006 13:50, Blogger Carey said...

Oh gosh, I'm sorry. I use the Firefox browser.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home