01 September 2006

Mathematics Fun?

As usual, I dreaded Statistics -- my first class for the day -- but today proved to be a little more entertaining.

A lady from the tutoring department came to tell us about the school's tutoring program for mathematics, where to find the lab, etc. She had to change the posters across the campus. Originally, the signs read "Math Lab -- room 128," but some jokester took a marker and changed the signs to "Meth Lab -- room 128."

In class the professor discussed the principles of random sampling from a population. Very boring -- until she whipped out the bag of chocolate. My attention was immediately caught.

"Now, I want each of you to reach into the bag and select one Hershey's kiss. There is a specific ratio of dark chocolate to milk chocolate."

Please, oh please be dark chocolate, I silently prayed as I reached into the bag. Yay! It was (later discovered - the bag was only 30% dark chocolate).

We had to wait to eat our chocolate after the example problem was explained. I stared at the kiss sitting on my desk. As if that wasn't enough of a distraction, the professor next door -- an excitable African American man who would have been better suited to charismatic clergy -- was making quite a bit of racket. Vainly, I tried to concentrate on the math problem written on the marker board as Dr. Excited shrieked, shouted, and pounded his desk with gusto.

"Sorry this class isn't as exciting as the one next door," my Statistics professor apologized, "but at least you got chocolate."

I found myself wondering what class was being held next door. Whatever it was, I wanted to sign up for it next semester. Who wouldn't want a professor who gets so excited over his subject that he shrieks?

6 Comments:

At 01 September, 2006 15:26, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

Yey!! Chocolate! And no prayer is too small for God!

 
At 01 September, 2006 18:57, Blogger untamed said...

Woohoo!!! Chocolate!!!! That'd make my day! Your math class sounds just like mine. Very boring with a very loud, excited class going on next door. Yep. I'm trying to find out who that teacher is too. I want to be in that class next semester. :)

(but can't complain about my teacher now, she's all right)

 
At 01 September, 2006 20:21, Blogger Carey said...

Are you taking sadistics too?

 
At 01 September, 2006 22:11, Blogger Angie said...

Dark chocolate...have you had the dark chocolate M&Ms? Yummy!

Dark chocolate is good for your cholesterol if taken regularly and with moderation. I kid you not.

 
At 02 September, 2006 09:52, Blogger Carey said...

No, I haven't had the dark chocolate M&Ms. I can't eat sugar -- actually, I shouldn't have eaten that kiss, but it was a small dose. The only chocolate "candy" I can eat is the sugar-free kind.

Guess I don't have to worry about my cholesterol, eh?

 
At 05 September, 2006 06:14, Blogger Kathryn said...

CHOCOLATE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home