28 August 2006

Meditations of my heart...

Before church yesterday, I came across a passage of Scripture that I had read many times before -- it had been highlighted, notes scribbled next to it -- but it took on a new light for me as I read it that morning.
And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ'’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)
Something struck my heart as I read this. God gave me a situation that produced some trials of its own. My thorn in the flesh is not the situation nor the trials, but my attitude. (I hate to use the term "feelings," but that is the best I can come up with.) Many, many times over the past six months I pleaded that God would take away my "feelings" toward the situation, but there were three major moments where (I thought) my prayers had been answered in moments of my own resolution. But 24 hours would prove me wrong each time and the "feelings" would return.

So as I read this passage of Scripture, I realized I had been praying the wrong thing all this time! My prayers changed. I prayed that instead of relieving me, the Lord would bend my "feelings" into prayer -- not frustration. His strength is made perfect in my weakness.

Another passage I read this morning in my quiet time also revolutionized the way I pray -- I began praying the Scripture for specific situations and/or people in my life.
Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning,
For in You do I trust;
Cause me to know the way in which I should walk,
For I lift up my soul to You.
Teach me to do Your will,
For You are my God;
Your Spirit is good.
Lead me in the land of uprightness.
(Psalm 143:8,10)
As of late, I worry way too much -- some worries are legitimate, others ridiculous -- so I made a commitment with the Lord this morning. Instead of worrying, I'm going to pray. Every time Satan bombards me with the temptation to doubt God's goodness, I'm going to combat him with Scripture.

Today, my weapon is Psalm 143:8,10 -- I will pray this Scripture for specific people.

Cause ____ to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You does ____ trust; cause ____ to know the way in which he/she should walk, for I lift up ____'s soul to You. Teach ____ to do Your will, for You are his/her God; Your Spirit is good. Lead ____ in the land of uprightness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home