27 February 2006

You asked for it...

I realized I only had two poems that I had actually typed and saved on my computer. The rest of my poetry is stashed in my volumes of journals. Maybe I should post a poem a week. Much of my poetry is free-form, just to warn you. Only a few of my poems actually have any rhyming structure.

I firmly believe that the reader should be given some context in which a work was created, so I shall give you some background. This poem was written about a couple of years ago after I watched two girls I knew from high school go through with pregnancies out of wedlock. Both had thought me funny and naive because I didn't have a boyfriend or had never been kissed; this was that period of adolescence where "everyone has someone except you," but I knew that I had Jesus, the Lover of my soul. What a great comfort! So who was naive?

My Love Story

They all "fell in love,"
They all fell apart.
To every one --
A broken heart.
First love at sixteen,
First date, first kiss...
First to fall.
They all had someone
To love and to hold.

They looked at me in pity
'Cause I "had no love story."
My lips were ne'er kissed,
Nor heart giv'n away.
But none of them
Knew real love.
For indeed, I have a love story...

He can't be seen;
He can't be touched...
Yet my Love's more real
Than theirs will ever be.

I have the real love story...
Calvary.

10 Comments:

At 27 February, 2006 17:01, Blogger Redeemed said...

Amen Carey!

The story of Calvary is indeed the greatest love story ever told. May the Lord bless and keep you. I truly believe that if you honor Him, He will honor you...

Looking forward to many more great poems of yours!

 
At 27 February, 2006 17:55, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks, Sarah! Think I could publish a book of poetry? *laughs*

 
At 27 February, 2006 19:00, Blogger Redeemed said...

Only if I could get an autographed copy of your poetry book. :)

 
At 27 February, 2006 19:32, Blogger Carey said...

*chuckle* I plan on writing for a career, so if I do (Lord willing) you will certainly get an autographed copy!

 
At 28 February, 2006 07:20, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Thanks for sharing that, Carey.

 
At 28 February, 2006 07:26, Blogger Camille said...

My poetry is generally free form too. I really liked it! At first when I started reading it I had no idea you were going to bring God into it and I was like "Eiiiw, this is mushy!" but then it got really good!

I think you could definantly publish.

And yes, I am a freshman :-) Everyone thinks I'm older.

~Nella

 
At 28 February, 2006 10:11, Blogger Carey said...

Everyone thought that about me too. People still think I'm older (avg guesses are around 25), which is okay for the moment, but I hope I can look 25 for a long time!

*laughs* Nella, you are funny. "Eiiw this is mushy!" Don't worry. I promise no mushy poems. The only Love I will write poetry about is Jesus. Though I've been in a romanitc relationship before, I can't bring myself to write about those kinda things because they are fleeting. The love of Christ is the only one that lasts (or will make human relationships last).

 
At 01 March, 2006 09:21, Blogger Consecrated said...

Beautiful story you tell there, Carey. I love your love for the Lord. It touches me deeply. As I said, you have a good head on your shoulders. Never mind the age. You are certainly more mature that I first thought you to be. I am seeing a different side of you, and I LOCE it.

Looking forward to more.

 
At 01 March, 2006 10:17, Blogger Consecrated said...

correction: LOVE it.

 
At 01 March, 2006 21:34, Blogger Carey said...

Aww... thanks, Leila!

Correction: The "romantic relationship" I reffered to was mostly on my part and the guy cruelly broke my fifteen-year-old heart (and he was a Calvinist, too). I think that's when I said I wanted to be a nun for the rest of my life and have nothing to do with guys and forbade anyone to mention his name in my presence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home