26 April 2006

Excerpt From My Book

For the past few years, I have been developing a book... well, many, but this one I want to concentrate on. It is currently untitled, but my working title is "Beloved."

The story is told by Chaviva, the younger sister of Y'shua (Jesus), and covers twenty years of her life with her Brother.
A soft light fell from the oil lamp. The glow reflected in His watery eyes. Ever since I was a very young child, I would get lost in His deep brown eyes... so deep, they were almost black. I always had shivers when I looked into them. Perhaps that is why few people could look my Brother in the eyes for very long.

Y'shua looked down at the broken pottery scattered on the floor and the rent curtain still clutched in my hands. He knelt wordlessly and brushed the hair out of my flushed, tear-stained face. I could not look up. Taking the torn fabric out of my hands, He lifted me off the floor and led me to the wooden bench -- the one He had made for my wedding gift.


I felt the grief and anger slowly leave me as He cradled me in His arms. I could no longer cry, but I felt warm tears run down my face. They were His. No words passed from either of our lips, until Y'shua began to sing quietly. The song was low and sweet, striking a familiar chord with me. Then I remembered it was a song Papa used to sing to me when I was little, just before he died.

16 Comments:

At 26 April, 2006 18:35, Blogger Redeemed said...

Beautiful, Carey! You are very talended.

I find you very wise. We all have talents of some sorts, but you really use all yours to the Lord.

It's like that nice hymn, take my life and let it be.

I can't wait for your book to come out. That is so great, I feel so honored...yeah,uh, my friend is an author. Always wanted to say that!!!!

 
At 26 April, 2006 20:18, Blogger Angie said...

I have entertained thoughts of writing a book, but I can never come up with anything worth filling that many pages. Perhaps that is why I blog. You are blessed with imagination and the skills to express it. Amazing. :)

 
At 26 April, 2006 21:04, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks, ladies! You can have the first copies... autographed. *laughs*

My problem is too many ideas and not following through, or completely changing the plot and getting writer's block.

 
At 26 April, 2006 21:11, Blogger Carey said...

By the way, "Chaviva" (as I am informed) is a feminine name meaning "beloved" in Hebrew.

 
At 27 April, 2006 05:53, Blogger Redeemed said...

Goes well with the title with your book!!

What does Carey mean?

 
At 27 April, 2006 06:15, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Carry on, determined, perseveres, I would imagine.

 
At 27 April, 2006 07:15, Blogger Carey said...

Haha... funny, Robert. Carey is a gaelic name that means "pure." Some translations also say "one who comes from the castle," which is really cool considering my middle name means "light bearer" or "light."

So "pure light" or "one who comes from the castle bearing light." Take your pick. Linguistics is so much fun!

 
At 27 April, 2006 07:59, Blogger Redeemed said...

Lol, I like pb's defenition.

Nice name, Carey, you really live up to it too.

 
At 27 April, 2006 09:02, Blogger Carey said...

Thank you, sweet Sarah. Your name means "princess" right?

 
At 27 April, 2006 09:24, Blogger Redeemed said...

yes, it does, princess in Hebrew.

Actually, our names go well together. Princess...one who comes from the castle...that could be a princess too!

 
At 27 April, 2006 09:49, Blogger Camille said...

Names are such interesting things.

Wow, nice work! A poet and a writer of prose as well! I'm working on a book also, or have been working on it for about 7 months I'm guessing. Mine isn't very long yet though. Its published on warofthering.net if you wanna read the first couple of chapters.

Keep up the great work!

 
At 27 April, 2006 09:58, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks, Nella. I'd love to read it. What is the title?

Sarah, you're right! Definitely my long-lost sister.

 
At 27 April, 2006 10:06, Blogger Angie said...

Anyone want to take a stab at what "Angela" means? ;) I bet you'll never guess!

 
At 27 April, 2006 10:58, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* Could it possibly mean "angel"?

 
At 27 April, 2006 12:06, Blogger Angie said...

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!!! Yes, it means angel or messenger.

 
At 27 April, 2006 16:36, Blogger Redeemed said...

lol, that was a hard one Angie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home