10 May 2006

Past the point of no return... the final threshold...

[Unless you have seen Phantom of the Opera, you have no clue what the title is about. Those of you who know what I'm talking about will be chuckling by now.]

I have my last two finals today. History doesn't worry me... Piece of cake. Literature is what I'm more concerned about. I have to write an in-class essay for my Lit final. Writing an essay in two hours doesn't bother me. Writing an essay on a William Butler Yeats poem I've never seen before -- in two hours -- bothers me.

Certainly, it will be nice to just get everything over and done with, but I
really want to get an A in Literature and am concerned that this final will be a flop and hurt my overall grade. Oh well. Must stop stressing over this. I will just do my very best and leave everything to the Lord.

So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding
If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.
Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.
When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee.

Proverbs 2:2-11 (Click for NKJV or NIV)

10 Comments:

At 10 May, 2006 06:01, Blogger Redeemed said...

Carey, I will certainly be praying and thinking of you.

You will do just fine, don't worry! That's an excellent Proverbs. Keep lifting your voice up in prayer. We serve a good God.

Lov ya girlie
xxx

 
At 10 May, 2006 06:17, Blogger Angie said...

Um, isn't so much literary analysis really based on postmodern theory? Maybe that's just in history (which is why I dislike my classes so much), but it should bring you comfort that any analysis you do is perfectly fine. It's all relative, you know.

I've had to write essays on literary passages that I had never seen before. It is not my most preferred activity of all time. I feel your pain.

That is an excellent passage from Proverbs! And I am really glad that your title doesn't mean the same thing for you as it did for the Phantom himself. We'd have to have a little chat in that case. ;) (I really love PTO and am so glad that they made a movie out of it so I can watch it when I get the urge, and I am really very glad that when I do I don't have to hear Sarah Brightman sing.)

 
At 10 May, 2006 09:57, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I am confident you will do very well.

 
At 10 May, 2006 13:27, Blogger Revelation 2:17 said...

Hey Carey, show'em

Psalm 119:99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.

Preferably after you get the grade

 
At 10 May, 2006 13:28, Blogger Revelation 2:17 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10 May, 2006 15:30, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* I like that Scripture, Rev.

Thanks everyone! I think everything went well. It's hard to get a bad grade on an essay that gives your opinion on a poem. Besides, my English professor likes me - maybe he'll give me an A. (I have this special bond with my English professors.) History... eh, not so sure, but I did my best.

At this point I almost don't care. Just glad to be finished! I think I'll be more excited about school when I get past all of these core subjects and actually get into my major. Then I can take fun classes!

Angie... *laughs*... yeah, I bought PTO for my mom for Mother's Day last year. She really loves it. I liked it, but am not a huge fan. Love the music, though.

 
At 10 May, 2006 19:05, Blogger Redeemed said...

Glad to know you feel confident. I have not doubt that you excelled.

Just think of all the fun you will have when all your finals are over. :)

 
At 10 May, 2006 19:59, Blogger Angie said...

Of course you did well!

It was nice talking to you today. I still think you have a cute little Texan accent. ;)

 
At 10 May, 2006 21:33, Blogger Carey said...

I have a Texas accent?? Oh dear... *groans* You have no idea. True Texans think I sound "like a Yank" and most people think I'm from California (because my Mom is from sunny CA and I sound like her). Apparently not. Guess my 'accent' is unique - although I can take on any accent I hear.

 
At 11 May, 2006 06:21, Blogger Angie said...

Yes, you have a Texas accent. It isn't strong, but it's definitely there. You do NOT sound like you're from California, trust me. You probably have some kind of hybrid accent, but there's nothing wrong with that. You can always tell people that you have been influenced by Dallas. The people I have known from Dallas don't have much of a Texan accent.

My dad was born in Texas but raised in California, but his parents are from Arkansas. My mom is from Wisconsin. My parents both sound like Californians these days, but there are certain things that my sisters and I say that make people ask us where we are from. I have been accused of having a drawl and every now and then I catch myself saying something with a very midwestern accent. Let's just conclude that we all sound like Americans!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home