10 February 2006

An Interesting Day

Morning saw me up bright and early... maybe not bright, but certainly early. I allowed myself at least three hours to do my morning devotions, re-write a speech, shower and dress, eat breakfast, and pack my lunch. Plenty of time, right? Re-writing my speach took much longer than anticipated and everything was hastily crammed into one hour. I finally ran out the door fifteen minutes late and drove like a madwoman to get to school on time. Visions of arriving late crowded my mind. I was never late.

Thankfully, I arrived just before Prof. Franklin did. We had yet another interesting discussion. He's been on this Evolution vs. Intelligent Design "kick" (even though this is a literature & composition class) ever since I challenged his stance on Evolution. During today's discussion, Dr. Franklin introduced the term entropy while talking about the Big Bang. Remembering my high school physics, I raised my hand.

"Then how do you explain Evolution in terms of entropy?"

He paused and gave me a curious look.

"How do you explain the process of an egg and sperm coming together to create you? There is some 'force' behind it that science has yet to explain."

The discussion continued. Dr. Franklin argued that Intelligent Design is not science, because it cannot be proven with tangible evidence. I raised my hand again.

"How would you define science?"

He was actually speechless for a few seconds. "I have tried to come up with a really good definition for science, but have not yet succeeded. The best definition I have heard is 'the study of things we can explain by repetitive and [tangible] evidence.'"

At the end of class, Dr. Franklin informed us that we would be reading Oedipus Rex and Antigone.

"Are we also going to read Oedipus at Colonus?" I asked excitedly.

Dr. Franklin's mouth dropped open. "You know about Oedipus at Colonus??"

"Yes, I read and studied it in my senior year of high school."

"Where did you go to school?" He asked in astonishment.

"I was home-schooled."

"Ahh." I wasn't sure what his look meant, but I could tell he was surprised.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Next was speech class. I was up first for my demonstration speech -- how to use garbage bags in an emergency survival situation. I received pretty good feedback from my professor and fellow students. Maybe I got an A- ... please, oh, please.

The next student gave a demonstration speech on how to meditate. It was, to say the least, interesting. He brought his meditation cushion, incense burner, and Buddha statue to show the class and gave us all instructions on how to focus on nothing. I think I'll just meditate on God's Word instead of nothingness.

Miguel, the cute guy from Brazil, demonstrated two traditional Brazilian dances: ferro (fo-ho) and samba. HELLO. The speech itself wasn't that great, but heck, I didn't care. I could have listened to his cute accent and watch him dance for hours. Too bad he didn't ask for a volunteer.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nutrition was uneventful except for an exam. I'm pretty sure I got an A ... B+ at the worst. History was uneventful as well. I listened to a lecture and took notes. No cute dancing Brazilians.

Mom, of course, had errands for me to run after school. Get groceries and pick up a book at Barnes & Noble for Jeremy. I was calling Mom every two minutes to ask a question (grocery shopping is not my forte). Then... there was Barnes & Noble. Ahh, my love. (For those of you who don't know, B&N is a bookstore chain in the US.) I could live there. Coffee, books, music... ahhh. As I walked in the door, a display caught my eye: three hardback classics for $9.99! I called Mom on my cellphone.

"Mom! Mom! Mom! Guess what? Guess what?" I proceeded to convince her to loan me some money until payday. I was giddy with excitement over my three new books: The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume 1 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, and Utopia by Sir Thomas More. I plan to read them as soon as I'm finished with Wilke Collins' The Lady in White (recently turned into a musical by the genius Andrew Lloyd Webber). I drove home triumphantly with my spoils.

Today was David's birthday, so I enjoyed a dinner of grilled shrimp/steak/portobello kabobs with steamed asparagus on the side. Scrummy.

7 Comments:

At 11 February, 2006 03:15, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Sounds like your education is going well.

Wilkie Collins' 'Woman in White' is an exciting book.

I studied the Classics when I was high-school age. I like Euripedes more than Sophocles, though. I did really like Antigone.

I would recommend Aristophanes for a laugth.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 11 February, 2006 10:18, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Hey, what happened to the dark, construction site? That was scary.

 
At 11 February, 2006 12:59, Blogger Julia said...

Ooh that sounds like a fun day!! i want to argue with your prof and eat your dinner. Haha :p

 
At 11 February, 2006 14:22, Blogger Carey said...

Scary? I suppose that fits since I'm Scottish. *laughs* It was going to look really cool, but I got frustrated with JavaScript and just gave up at 1:30 AM.

 
At 11 February, 2006 16:53, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

My English Prof did the same thing.
He was a civillian,
so he could get away with it.

sounds like the speach went well.

 
At 11 February, 2006 20:48, Blogger Carey said...

Civilian... *laughs*

 
At 12 February, 2006 19:39, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

yeah, most of them are officers,
but a few are civillians.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home