01 February 2006

A "Normal" Day (for me)

Picture me sitting in class having an intellectual discussion about bog mummies in Denmark and Ireland. Now picture me acting like a cat, singing along with cartoons, and colouring with crayons (no, I have not gone insane). This is how my average day goes... student by day, childcare worker by night.

Parents are always puzzled at their children's activeness when they pick up their little munchkins. I am afraid I am usually at fault for making the children hyper. The kids and I have several favourite activities...

...vacuum chase... while I vacuum the mess from snack time, the kids have a blast being chased by the evil vacuum-cleaner and screaming at the top of their lungs.
...wrestling... usually follows vacuuming and results in a tumble on the floor - and four or more children piled on top of me.
...dress-up... tonight I was nominated "King" and hosted a ball. Last week I was an old man with a beard (I even have a picture).
...watching a movie... for the past five million weeks we have watched the same puppet movie. I now have the entire thing (songs and all) memorized. Next week I am bringing my Wallace & Gromit DVD.
...crafts... being an artist, I was nominated (rather made) to supervise crafts. Tonight we made hand-puppets with brown paper bags. I fondly named mine "Mr. Baggins" (and then chased the children with my kid-eating puppet).

What wonderful things to put on my resume! *laughs*

6 Comments:

At 02 February, 2006 10:52, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I would hate to work with children.

I once worked as an office clerk for a daycare nursery. I did not have to have anything to do with children in that job, though.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 02 February, 2006 11:33, Blogger Carey said...

I thought so too, at first, but I've really come to enjoy working with children. Granted, there is the occasional demon-child, but it is a fun job. Demanding, but fun.

It really makes my day when some of the children I watch see me in church and run up to give me hugs. I've even "adopted" some of them as my nieces and nephews. I now go by "Miss Carey" or "Aunt Carey."

I can just picture myself this eccentric old-maid aunt who travels the world and brings pressies back for my neices and nephews. I've already promised Jer I will thoroughly spoil his children, and my best friend has already designated me for a godmother... or fairy godmother, as I like to put it.

 
At 06 February, 2006 13:30, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

yeah,
I've got a couple of kids I've adopted too.
Kids are great.
That's got to be my favorite part of coming back on leave.

 
At 06 February, 2006 16:46, Blogger Carey said...

Are you coming home for the summer? I asked Joel, but he said he didn't know.

 
At 06 February, 2006 17:13, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

I'll be home for summer.
I don't know when yet though.
Spring break is MAR-24 through 02-APR.

 
At 07 February, 2006 15:54, Blogger Carey said...

Darn... a week after my Spring break. I'll be free on Th, so give me a call or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home