16 February 2006

The Odd Couple

My parents are certainly the oddest couple I have ever known. They are such opposites it's amusing.

Dad was raised Mennonite on a farm in Kansas. As a result, he is very conservative.
  • Dad prefers women to have long hair, dress very modestly (i.e. long dresses and such), but he doesn't care about head-coverings.
  • He is what feminists would label a "male chauvenist."
  • Dad's side of the family is full of ultra-conservative legalists.

Mom was raised nominal Methodist. Her parents were a classic materialistic middle-class couple of the 50s.
  • When she was my age (in the 60s and early 70s), Mom was a hippie in California... a wild flower child.
  • Everyone on her side of the family has been married at least twice, some are in drug rehab, and one was gay.
  • Janis Joplin was my third cousin (that ought to tell you something).

They've butted heads often enough, but Mom and Dad get along really well. They're a cute, but odd couple. God had a sense of humour when He put them together.

Which makes me wonder... horror of horrors... what is God going to do with me??? Let's see... what would be a funny match with me? *laughs* I'll leave this to my reader's imagination.

5 Comments:

At 16 February, 2006 14:08, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I am totally with your dad on modest dress, but I do believe strongly in women's headcovering, as you know.

It is funny that he is strong on dress but not on headcovering. I do think skirts and dresses are more modest, but I cannot prove that through the Bible. On the other hand I can see headcovering very clearly in the Word.

I do not think I am at all legalist. Just opinionated, but I respect other Christians' judgments.

My parents on the other hand, are Charismatic Christians who believe that Christians ought not to be too different from the world (except in morality and attitude).

Thanks for telling me about your folks.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 16 February, 2006 16:08, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

I would never have guessed that about your mom.
That's crazy.

 
At 16 February, 2006 17:14, Blogger Carey said...

A lot of people are surprised to find out she was a wild hippie, but it just goes to show you what God can do. She's more tame now... well, maybe I shouldn't use the word 'tame.' *laughs* Mom is still more liberal than Dad, but she is more conservative than I am.

She is still an aging hippie, just saved now. Mom is so cute. I was playing the Beatles earlier today and she had one of her flashback moments and sang along. You should see her when 60s music is being played... she becomes 16 again.

 
At 16 February, 2006 17:23, Blogger Carey said...

I think it's funny that children either become more liberal or more conservative than their parents (well, duh, what other choice is there?).

In my case, I'm more liberal. Yeah, I know what you're thinking... "Oh my gosh, Carey's a Democrat." No. I tend to agree (mostly) with the Libertarian party... a sort of conservative liberal... or a liberal conservative.

 
At 17 February, 2006 00:41, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I think I am pretty libertarian myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home