19 February 2006

Tonight, tonight... wasn't just any night...

My boss called to ask if I could sub tonight. I had to miss my time with my junior-high and high-school students to work in the nursery... with the youngest infants (4 mo. - 10 mo.). They're cute, but... oi. There was this one little girl who cried/screamed the entire time.

I leaned over to Mom and whispered, "I know this sounds sadistic, but I would really like to give her a good spanking." She was probably tired and teething, so it wasn't her fault. I just wanted to turn her volume down... or mute. Will someone please invent a remote for children? I rocked another baby girl to sleep. No problem. She fussed very little and I found it quite theraputic to rock her. Those mommy hormones kicked in... horror of horrors... I scare myself.

Now I am listening to the soundtrack of Schindler's List. It is so sad-sounding, but I love mournful music. That movie made me cry. So did The Passion of the Christ, Gladiator, and the Last Samurai. Braveheart didn't make me cry... I just want to beat up an Englishman after watching it (sorry Matthew). I'm sounding weird now. Need to go to... yawn... sleep... zzzzzzzzz.

6 Comments:

At 19 February, 2006 20:40, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

why the horror?

I've only cried during Passion and We Were Solider.
And only those two because they were so real to me.

 
At 20 February, 2006 03:05, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Carey, please do not be shocked but I actually was not moved by Schindler's List at all.

I found the film rather funny in places and I actually enjoyed watching all the violence. There were times when I thought about watching the movie again just for the fun of it.

I think my reaction to the film (and I know there are others who experienced it like this) suggests that movies are not always a good way of communicating shocking and disturbing things.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 20 February, 2006 04:16, Blogger Carey said...

Jason: Why the horror? Uhh... *looking over post again* Oh, because I was acting like a mommy.

I haven't seen "We Were Soldiers," but "Saving Private Ryan" made me cry (esp. when Tom Hanks died). That has to be one of the most disturbing movies I have seen... especially since I watched it by myself. No one else would watch it with me. My family leaves me alone with my war movies.

Matthew: I know you said not to be shocked, but my jaw dropped to the floor anyway. That's... that's... disturbing. What does move you?

 
At 20 February, 2006 06:35, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Things which are a little slower in pace.

The problem is that I have seen so much killing on the screen that there was nothing to be shocked at in Schindler's List. Once you start laughing at cinematic deaths, it is hard to be shocked by them.

I had read plenty of books on the Holocaust so I was well-acqainted with the awful thigns that took place then. Seeing cinematic depections of killing in the film, that did not convey all of the misery and degradation of what went on just had the opposite effect. It just made the whole thing seem more banal.

To be really moved by the events of the Holocaust you are better off reading accounts by eyewitnesses. They convey the horror of it far better.

I am sorry if my comment has disturbed you.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 20 February, 2006 06:37, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Maybe that it is part of why I do not watch films much. The only films I watch again and again are the Lord of the Rings films. I do find those moving, because of the way they convey the poetic and Romantic atmosphere of the films.

God Bless

 
At 20 February, 2006 07:00, Blogger Carey said...

Well, now that you have explained yourself I am not so alarmed. Yes, one can be desensitized to violence. I've watched many gory war movies and am desensitized a little to the violence. What makes me cry is the way people treat each other (I am just sensitive to things like that).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home