04 March 2006

Today's Adventure

I left at nine this morning with the intent of running some errands before my grandmother arrived this afternoon. Some stops included exchanging a t-shirt, picking up some lunch food at the organic market, and returning to the Mecca of shoes.

Everything was going according to schedule. I left the house at the desired time and headed into town. Arriving at my first stop ten minutes before opening time, I decided to wait in the van. The shopkeeper opened the doors and I leapt out of the van, eager to be on my way. No sooner had I locked and shut the door when I realized my keys were still in the ignition. Oh great. I pulled my cellphone out of my purse.

"Hi Mom... I locked my keys in the car," I stated calmly. There was a dead silence. "Mom?"

"Are you serious?"

"Yes." Would I joke about something like that?

Her solution was that I wait until my grandmother could get to our house, pick up the keys, and then bring them to me. I ended up waiting four hours to be rescued.

After completing my first errand, I walked next door to the LePeep cafe for brunch. Being the writer that I am, I pulled out a piece of scrap paper...

Maybe it was a good thing that I locked the keys in the car. Now I can enjoy a long, leisurely brunch (or second breakfast). This is a cute little restaurant. I feel like I'm in a small Parisian cafe. Perhaps I shall use my imagination and pretend I'm a freelance writer sitting in a French cafe, sipping my coffee, and pondering the meaning of life.

20 minutes later...

Brunch was delicious. I had two eggs over easy with two strips of bacon and - oh bliss - a Belgian waffle drenched in warm syrup. I'm going for a walk now to work this off.

Did I walk! With who knows how many hours to kill, I aimlessly walked about the shopping complex and ended up getting a hair cut just for fun. The woman who cut my hair was a small Taiwanese woman who dressed like a rock star and possessed bad English. I was quite concerned for my long wavy locks. My last experience with a Taiwanese hair dresser ended with a very short haircut, but I was feeling adventurous today and decided to take the plunge. The funny little woman chattered to me in unintelligible English, to which she would end with "Right?" and I would simply nod my head in agreement.

"Oh, you have beautiful hair... you colour?"

"No, it's natural."

"Oh, very pret-ty," she over-pronounced. Surprisingly, I was very happy with the end result. It is shorter and more straight, but I really like it.

I then headed towards the Wal-Mart for a pair of shoes and a magazine the size of War and Peace to read for the remainder of my long stay.

My grandmother finally arrived around 2:30 PM to rescue me. I drove (because she really shouldn't be on the road anymore) and finished the necessary errands, forgoing the organic market once more.

So there is my Saturday adventure.

14 Comments:

At 04 March, 2006 18:14, Blogger Julia said...

Haha poor Carey- still no market!

 
At 04 March, 2006 18:21, Blogger Carey said...

*sniff* No.

 
At 04 March, 2006 19:08, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

Sounds like fun.
That's a good way to take a bad situation and make it work out.

I spent the day at the library programing

 
At 04 March, 2006 19:24, Blogger Carey said...

It really wasn't as bad as it sounds. My plans just changed, and that's okay. Mom was surprised at how relaxed I was about being stranded. No worries, man. *laughs* Maybe I'm too laid back and flexible. I just kinda go with the flow.

 
At 04 March, 2006 20:26, Blogger Julia said...

We should go to the market tuesday. :/ Ive never been there, Im kind of curious.

 
At 05 March, 2006 06:09, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Sounds like an irritating experience.

Wasting time is not mcuh fun.

God Bless

Matthew

 
At 05 March, 2006 09:37, Blogger Carey said...

It wasn't irritating for me. Wasting time can actually be fun. My life is very structured and ruled by the clock,so to get a break like that is nice.

Jules, Tuesday is our LONG workday. Amy won't be there again, so I'll be three people at once and will be lucky to drag myself out the door.

 
At 05 March, 2006 12:27, Blogger Redeemed said...

My brother once locked the keys in the trunk...the spare keys! We called a cab. Apparently cab drivers have a "special kit" to unlock doors.

Are you gonna post a picture of your new haircut?

 
At 05 March, 2006 12:36, Blogger Carey said...

Wasn't planning on it, but I can.

 
At 06 March, 2006 13:52, Blogger Consecrated said...

Am glad you didn't hear about the fit I threw when both sets of keys were locked in the trunk of the car. Talk about laid back. I was thrown off.

 
At 06 March, 2006 14:34, Blogger Carey said...

Aw... Leila, you throw a fit?

 
At 06 March, 2006 14:56, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Just go find a crowbar or coat hanger.

Easy way to the keys.

 
At 06 March, 2006 15:59, Blogger Carey said...

I actually tried that, Robert. My van was parked in front of a clothing store. I went in and asked for a hanger, then proceeded to pry the window open. Unfortunately, my muscles didn't do the job and I stopped for fear of breaking the window.

 
At 07 March, 2006 08:59, Blogger Consecrated said...

Well it was kind of a "recalcitrant" fit.

We were dining out that evening, and my son decided to run to the car and get a couple of tracts from the trunk (my car is always loaded). He took my keys, because his keys were in his bag (in the trunk). In typical fashion he got the tracts out, but left my keys in,also.

It was when I reached out for my keys after the dinner was over that I realized what had happened.

Of course my children took it lights, but I went back inside the restaurant and waited there. Told them I will not come out until they had solved the problem. And yes they called a cab driver who used a coat hanger. I could have killed someone to see him fiddling with my beautiful silver Sebring door. Thankfully the ordeal was finally over in less than an hour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home