11 May 2006

Love is Patient

Today was music day with the G sisters (Beth, Sarah, and Bekah). We practiced our quartet piece for "Nothing But The Blood" until lunch time. I think we sounded pretty good (providing we only practiced for a couple of hours). We should sound great by June 18th, when we plan to perform at church. You can purchase tickets at... haha... just kidding. Maybe I can somehow post a recording of us singing on my blog -- as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

After lunch we watched the new Pride and Prejudice, with Kiera Knightly and Matthew Macfayden. Even though I despise Kiera Knightly and am partial to Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy, I still enjoyed this version immensely. I'm even tempted to get the DVD -- gasp. It's also nice to have a two-hour version of P&P as opposed to the five-hour version. I can't sit through the whole thing (even this one required several pauses and breaks).

One thing that is so endearing to me about Pride and Prejudice is the character of Mr. Darcy. His love for Elizabeth is what all women dream of -- constant, patient love. Even after Elizabeth's passionate refusal and revealing of her utter contempt for him, Mr. Darcy continues to love her, going out of his way to do anything he can for Elizabeth. One of my favorite pieces of dialogue from the movie is Darcy's second proposal to Elizabeth...
"You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love... I love... I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on."
Even though Elizabeth had the opportunity to have a comfortable life (Mr. Collins) or a rather romantic suitor (Mr. Wickam), in the end, gentle persistence won. I think that is what many women miss. Most settle for the dashing Mr. Wickams or the offers of a decent life by Mr. Collinses, but few wait out for a Mr. Darcy. Few women are willing to wait for the gentle, patient wooing of a Mr. Darcy, and often settle for something less.
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8a)

21 Comments:

At 11 May, 2006 18:01, Blogger Redeemed said...

Sounds like our Heanvenly Father's perfect and patient love towards His sheep.

I like this template a lot Carey. Now that you changed it to this, I remember that this is the template you had when I first started visiting this cheriched blog. That was....maybe a bit more than 4 months ago!

 
At 11 May, 2006 18:05, Blogger Carey said...

Only four months?

Is this easier to read?

 
At 11 May, 2006 18:11, Blogger Redeemed said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11 May, 2006 18:13, Blogger Redeemed said...

I know, it seems like I've always known you. Well, at least we'll know each other for all eternity.

We won't need to be introduced in Heaven.

Yes, this is easier to read. Love the template! (I think I like all the ones u choose).

*I erased the previous comment, me and my typos!

 
At 11 May, 2006 18:33, Blogger Angie said...

Yes, the template is easier to read, although it does seem to have a little bit less personality. I like it, however. It is very clean.

That Mr. Darcy quote is making me melt where I sit, Carey. :) God's love is much greater, however, and we as His Son's bride can rejoice in that!

 
At 11 May, 2006 19:08, Blogger Kathryn said...

Sorry this isn't related, Carey, but I noticed you had a link to Coldplay's website-do you listen to Coldplay?

 
At 11 May, 2006 19:14, Blogger Carey said...

Sarah, yeah, it does seem like we've known each other forever (but that's because we're long-lost sisters)!

Angie, that quote made me melt too! *laughs*

Katy, yes, I do listen to Coldplay. Have their album X&Y. My little bro listened to it so many times I got tired of it, though.

 
At 11 May, 2006 19:32, Blogger Angie said...

Is it just me or did the template change again? ;)

Personality and bigger font size - can I have my cake and eat it, too?

 
At 11 May, 2006 19:40, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* Yeah... I'm just really partial to my airplane template. Haven't found another one I really like. Think this one's a keeper.

 
At 12 May, 2006 00:15, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Good thoughts.

 
At 12 May, 2006 06:35, Blogger Consecrated said...

I love the hymn "Nothing but the Blood of Jesus". I suppose that's what you're practicing.

What part do you sing Carey? I mean are you Soprano or alto?

 
At 12 May, 2006 07:10, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Kiera Knightly was in star wars.

Never seen P&P, and I probably won't. But the outcome seems to work out correctly.

I like this template too. easier on my palm then most.

 
At 12 May, 2006 13:09, Blogger Revelation 2:17 said...

"For all this I considered in my heart even to declare all this, that the righteous, and the wise, and their works, are in the hand of God: no man knoweth either love or hatred by all that is before them." Ecclesiastes 9:1

 
At 12 May, 2006 13:24, Blogger Revelation 2:17 said...

"nothing but the blood" is great. also sounds great acapella (forgot how that's spelt)

am interested to know also, soprano or alto?
will pray for the Lord to bless your voices.

Psalm 149:6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;

or as I like to paraphrase
"a hymnal in one hand and a Bible in the other"

(by the way just kidding about "spelt")

 
At 12 May, 2006 14:39, Blogger Angie said...

Carey is, if I am not mistaken, singing 1st alto. I am rather unaccustomed to the language used for 1st and 2nd altos, so does that mean that you are singing the bottom part of the second part from the bottom? ;)

 
At 12 May, 2006 20:55, Blogger Redeemed said...

I like the airplane template becau se it's very summerish.

The ariplane makes me think of Carey coming to Montreal. Hip hip, hourray!

 
At 12 May, 2006 20:58, Blogger Redeemed said...

I am also alto, Carey, but couldn't sing even if my life depended on it, and thank God it doesn't it :)

 
At 12 May, 2006 21:58, Blogger Carey said...

Yes, I do sing 1st alto - the top part of the bottom part (for women)... *laughs* I usually sing alto/tenor (2nd alto) in church. Depends... in the morning, I'm a tenor. Towards the end of the day, with plenty of warming up, I can sing 2nd soprano. Used to sing 1st soprano (for all you non-musical people, that's the highest part) when I was thirteen, but my voice has deepened since then. For those of you who have heard me on the phone, you are saying, "Deeper? Carey? She chirps!" but my singing voice can be quite low. It's kind of a cross between Lisa Gerrard and Loreena McKennit.

 
At 13 May, 2006 07:04, Blogger Angie said...

Thanks for the explanation, Carey. I figured since you are all ladies that you were singing an SSAA arrangement. I can read music, but have absolutely no background in musical theory (hence the question about the part).

My vocal break is at D/E, so I should have no problem singing 1st soprano, but I have a lot of trouble getting through and over the break (coming down through it is no problem, however). I do it just for fun anyway. I like 2nd soprano off of the soprano part best when in a choir. The combination helps keep my range higher and still lets me sing some harmony. I sing alto/2nd soprano now because the church choir needs me there more. Right now as I type I am amusing myself by singing both the Phantom's and Christine's parts in PTO. ;)

 
At 13 May, 2006 11:19, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* I do that too! In fact, I have the sheet music for PTO stashed in my piano bench.

Ryan, thanks for dropping in!

 
At 14 May, 2006 07:25, Blogger Julia said...

I love his little speech!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home