15 September 2006

A story only God could write...

Yesterday was my off day from classes and work. The only pressing assignment was some Statistics homework, so I chose to do some recreational reading for the remainder of my day (something I haven't done since the 10th grade).

Mom and Jer had been begging/bugging me to read this book they got from our church library, called "When Dreams Come True: A Love Story Only God Could Write." I had begun to read a couple of chapters a few days earlier and found myself mildly interested, so I decided to go ahead and finish it.

Not that long ago, I would have scoffed merely at the title and refused to read such "nonsense," but now... now is a different story. I laughed. I cried. I cried some more. Before I knew it, I had finished the entire book. It was beautiful and moved me deeply.

SIDE NOTE: (1) That was the first book I'd read cover to cover in years. I rarely finish a book these days and often will skim. This book I read. (2) I never cry when I read a book. The only things that used to make me cry were The Passion of the Christ and Saving Private Ryan. Now everything makes me cry -- apparently books do too.

Jer and I discussed the book before I went to bed. My eyes were still moist and we laughed at how much I've changed over the past few years -- from a bitter feminist to a maternal basket-case. Only God could have done that. I guess you could say my life is "a story only God could write."

2 Comments:

At 15 September, 2006 09:58, Blogger RobertDWood said...

I don't think a books made me cry since Old Yeller...

You seriously haven't read a book cover to cover in 3 years??

 
At 15 September, 2006 14:43, Blogger Carey said...

Actually, that would be four years, Robert.

Mom, it was 8th grade, and yes, I was very burned out my senior year. Late high school and college do a really good job of killing the joy of reading.

Beowulf would be more fun to read if it wasn't so difficult to understand - I need to brush up on my Old English.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home