19 April 2006

The Day of the Lord

Driving home from work tonight, I witnessed the most spectacular display of lightning. Deep, ominous thunder shook the earth and streaks of lightning stretched their ethereal fingers across an ebony sky. I love to sit outside when a thunderstorm approaches -- in awe of God's marvelous creation. Perhaps it is because I am a pensive person and love to sit and think.

Tonight reminded me of a previous post from this month, and another verse was brought to my mind...

Be silent in the presence of the Lord God; for the day of the Lord is at hand. (Zephaniah 1:7)

Imagine what the skies will be like when the King returns!

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. (2 Peter 3:10)

9 Comments:

At 20 April, 2006 05:46, Blogger Redeemed said...

Amen, Carey, I cannot wait to meet our King.

I love lightnings and thunder too. Job says that the thunder is the voice of God!!!

 
At 20 April, 2006 06:09, Blogger RobertDWood said...

OOh. I saw that same stuff.

Some of it was HUGE.

 
At 20 April, 2006 07:57, Blogger Carey said...

Yeah, made the stuff on our walls rattle.

 
At 20 April, 2006 08:00, Blogger Redeemed said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 20 April, 2006 08:00, Blogger Redeemed said...

oh no, sorry, that was me sneezing!

 
At 20 April, 2006 09:09, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Indeed, Carey. What a day that will be.

Interestingly, the Pre-Tribulationalists generally view the Day of the Lord as the whole of God's eschatologcal programme. So, in their view the tribulation, the Millennium and the close of the final judgment are part of the Day of the Lord, as well as Christ's appearing.

Most Premillennialists hold that 2 Peter 3:10 occurs at the close of the Millennium.

I disagree. I think the Day of the Lord is a 24 hour day, on which Christ returns.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 20 April, 2006 10:28, Blogger Carey said...

Matthew, I know you meant to be serious, but I could not help but laugh. I talk about lightning and the Day of the Lord, and you jump right into disagreeing with Premillenialism.

 
At 20 April, 2006 13:52, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Pre-Tribulationalism. I am a Premillennialist.

I am just interested by your use of the term 'Day of the Lord' and I agree with it.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 20 April, 2006 20:56, Blogger Carey said...

Ooops... sorry. Did not read closely. I am a Premillenialist also. Not quite sure where I stand on the Tribulation thing. Perhaps you can better educate me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home