13 May 2006

16-Hour Work Day

Sixteen hours of work -- this is the reason I did not blog yesterday. I started my nanny job yesterday (leaving my house at 7:30 AM) and went straight to another babysitting job as soon as I was finished, finally returning home at 11:00 PM. It wasn't really gruelling, because all the children were well-behaved, but it was a very long day. I didn't actually go to sleep until 2:00 AM because my younger brother, Jeremy, needed some "talk time." Needless to say, I only woke up an hour and a half ago. For someone who regularly rises around 5:30 AM, it's really bizarre to wake and have half your day gone.

The nanny job will be fun, I think. Since yesterday was my first time, the girls and I stayed at home, but we will have plenty of things to do next week (including picnics in the park, story time at the library, etc.). I will actually get to play "mommy." This ought to be interesting. I am almost tempted to wear a ring on my ring finger, simply because of the moral implications of a young woman with two young children without a ring might be -- well, you get the idea.

My second job yesterday was the twins again. We finished the last two chapters of
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and read the first chapter of Prince Caspian. The twins insisted that I show their dad how to "do it right" and told me of how he was reading it all wrong. I must admit that I probably set a high standard -- acting out as I read, using different British accents for each character, etc. My mother doesn't call me Drama Queen for nothing.

6 Comments:

At 13 May, 2006 12:52, Blogger Angie said...

Sounds like a great job for you!

I wouldn't bother with the ring. Being with children doesn't mean that they are yours. In my opinion, people can think what they will; you have nothing to be ashamed of. That's just me. :)

 
At 13 May, 2006 13:03, Blogger Carey said...

True, Angie. I probably won't bother with the ring.

 
At 13 May, 2006 14:09, Blogger Kathryn said...

I wouldn't bother with a ring ethier-let them think what they like, if anyone even bothers. I usually don't even notice if someone's wearing a ring or not, it's really rather hard to tell.

I hope you have fun though. I love babysitting.

As for the Narnia series, I imagine you're quite excellent. I love LWW much, I've read it four times over now. I can't do the English accent though, I sound as if I've a head cold.

 
At 13 May, 2006 14:51, Blogger Carey said...

Yeah, and if anyone asks I can just say "I'm just the nanny."

I'm kind of strange about my reputation. Not that I care what others think of me, but I strive to be above reproach -- which is really impossible since I am a sinful human being. Particulary, I strive hard to maintain an impression of purity and innocence. "Be ye holy, for I am holy." (Carey paraphrase from Lev. 19:2) I'm a bit old-fashioned and Puritan-ish when it comes to things like that. I still maintain a bit of a chivilrous, honor-guarding view. Many people think this is very silly and medieval of me, but hey, that's part of what makes me so... uh... unique.

 
At 13 May, 2006 15:06, Blogger Redeemed said...

Perfect job for Carey. That is good boot camp training for when you will have children of your own.

However, Carey, 16-hour word day cannot possibly be good for you. You look after those children, and I will look out for you.

No more long days like those. It will make you sick.

But to end on a good note, I am glad you are enjoying your nanny job

 
At 13 May, 2006 15:59, Blogger Angie said...

Yes, I do understand wanting to avoid the appearance of evil.

Have you been to my blog, Carey? The "Can I help you drive?" post is for you. It's the story I told you about. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home