20 May 2006

Swing Blues

Last night was our Awana awards ceremony. I was planning to take Jer with me to go to a swing dance function at a Baptist church (yes, dancing at a Baptist church) after the ceremony. Mom said she didn't want me going without Jer as a "bodyguard," so I had to take him. I really wanted to bring him anyway because he's my best friend and I like "hanging out" with him.

After the ceremony I was looking forward to tearing up some dance floor when Jer announced that he wanted to go straight home and do Algebra homework. I couldn't go without him and obviously couldn't leave him, so I complied and took him home so he could do homework. Then of course he plays video games and finally does his Algebra homework around midnight... Humanly speaking, I should have been upset, but Ephesians 4:26 says not to "let the sun go down on your wrath." The sun had already set, so being mad at my brother was out of the question. *laughs* No, really, I wasn't. It had to have been the Lord. I used to really struggle with anger and bitterness, but the Lord has been so merciful to sanctify me. Hardly anything bothers me now, and I have my heavenly Father to praise for that.

Tonight we went to visit some long-time family friends for dinner and fellowship. Hannah, Grace, Miriam, and I did swing, cha-cha, waltz, polka, and rumba after dinner with plenty of laughs. Grace and Miriam are 9 and 7, so I can still pick them up and swing them around -- all those fancy swing moves. I tried to get Jeremy to come dance with us so he could learn some more moves, but he refused because it wasn't "cool" and dancing is "embarrassing." As it is said in Yiddish --
Oi.

I did discover that this swing dance function I missed (at the Baptist church) happens twice a month, so the next one should be around June 9th. Jer said he'd go but won't dance with me -- he'll just stand in the background and chase away any guy who asks me to dance. Not much point in me going then, eh?

19 Comments:

At 20 May, 2006 22:15, Blogger Angie said...

They had line dancing at my church in CA's ladies' retreat last year. It's a Baptist church, too, although the retreat was held at a hotel. Baptist church function with dancing.

Carey, brothers are for protecting their sisters from predators, right? I always wanted one (but an older brother, so I'm really not sure how I was going to achieve that) and when I was younger would have gladly traded my sisters in for a brother. I am now glad that I didn't because I love my sisters. It is good that you and your brother are friends.

Hineh mah tov u'mah naim shevet achim gam yachad. There's your Hebrew for the day. :)

 
At 21 May, 2006 11:38, Blogger Carey said...

Yes, brothers are great for protection. I'm blessed to have two biological brothers and one "adopted" brother. They are so much fun!

 
At 21 May, 2006 11:39, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks for my Hebrew lesson, but, eh... what does it mean? I wish I could hear you speak Hebrew.

 
At 21 May, 2006 11:47, Blogger Angie said...

Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together as one (that's my translation). My accent is horrible and this is one of the few things I remember. ;)

 
At 21 May, 2006 13:30, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* Thanks! I'm sure your accent is better than mine. I have a hard time not saying things with a Spanish accent for some reason. Got Spanish drilled into my mind, so I have to think twice when switching to another language. You'd think it would be English... haha.

 
At 21 May, 2006 13:33, Blogger Redeemed said...

oh, lol, sorry Carey, you won't find swing dancing at my Baptist Church. We mostly "bellyship"! With an international church like ours, you are bound to be fed.

Wow, can you belive awana is over for the summer. We had our last night this past Friday and the awards ceremony is next Sunday evening. The year went by so fast!

Hebrew is so cool, we have a lady at the face and we always hear her yelling at her kids in Hebrew. It's a really "strong" language, but very nice!!

 
At 21 May, 2006 13:34, Blogger Redeemed said...

*oh wow, sarah so very tired, a lady at the office....

at the face, goodness, I need sleep!!!!

lol, I am dying of laughter at myself, maybe I should read my comments before posting them. stupid me!

 
At 21 May, 2006 13:53, Blogger Carey said...

*chuckle* I know what you meant. You told me about that on the phone. *laughs* Poor Sarah.

 
At 21 May, 2006 15:32, Blogger Julia said...

I am going to hunt down your brother and personally chop off his head.
He is SO on my list right now.
Once he gets there and sees how many guys dance, he'll get over himself- or I will make him. He doesnt think so, but im stronger than he is.
Oh, and dont worry about not having a partner- I knew alot of ppl there and I think you will also.
Besides that, during the lesson they make us switch partners all the time anyway. So PLEASE try to come to one because you will enjoy it so much!

 
At 21 May, 2006 21:06, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

Is this a regular event?
If so,
I'll have to make my way up there.

And yes,
We'll all work on Jer.
He does need to learn.

 
At 22 May, 2006 09:55, Blogger Julia said...

Yeah its going to be twice a month. Please help me with jeremy!!!

 
At 23 May, 2006 07:12, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks, Jason. Would be very appreciated.

 
At 23 May, 2006 14:50, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

Sweet.
I need the dates in June,
A ride,
and excuse to get Jer out there.
and the two of you.
(And anyone else you think might make it easier.

 
At 23 May, 2006 16:35, Blogger Carey said...

I'm not sure about the dates, but Julia can help us with that. Ride? No problem. We can take Beep Beep. LOL. Excuse? Do we need one? Jer will go if you go, Jason. He told me why he didn't want to go is because he didn't want to dance with anyone but me. I thought that was kinda sweet.

 
At 23 May, 2006 16:48, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

problem solved.
I hope the music is fast.
I might just bring some of my own.

 
At 24 May, 2006 04:48, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* You just do that.

 
At 24 May, 2006 20:18, Blogger Hannah said...

'Twas fun dancing with you. :)You really caught on the the cha-cha. I've been watching some movies online to add some more swing moves to my reportoire. (sp?) Such as this movie: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ozWBI6GtTQY

 
At 25 May, 2006 04:46, Blogger Carey said...

I had fun dacning with you too... especially the polka. *chuckles*

 
At 26 May, 2006 16:42, Blogger Hannah said...

Polka? I think we did it all wrong, but I had FUN. Next time I'll try harder not to bang into things or step all over your feet. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home