15 May 2006

Mother's Day Concussion

Last night was our last club meeting for Awana, so of course we had an extra-long game time that involved some violent dodgeball. When those teenage boys play dodgeball no one is safe (unless they put on helmets and build a bunker). There is no where to hide. Even if you are not playing, there is no guarantee you won't get pegged with a killer volleyball.

Standing around and talking with the other adults in the corner seemed safe -- until I was hit in the back of the head. The ball merely bounced off my hard head -- though it did hurt a bit -- and the other adults watched in amazement as I made no reaction and continued my conversation. (Although I was tempted to cross my eyes and fall over -- just for fun.)

Later on, I joined the game. I haven't really good aim, so I mostly dodged. That is my specialty. Since I am so spritely, the boys had a hard time getting me (when I was actually looking and paying attention). When I wasn't paying attention, I was hit in the face (wearing glasses, no less) and my jaw felt as though it was broken. (Now I smile crookedly... haha... just kidding.) The boys were more careful after that. I hope they felt guilty for hitting a lady in the face.

Of course, my mother said I shouldn't be playing such rough sports -- especially with boys -- and being an accident magnet doesn't help much either. She was really worried and fussed over me (as mothers will). Poor Mom. All these years she's had to put up with my frequent freak accidents -- more than my brothers combined -- and ER trips. Thanks, Mom! I love you!

7 Comments:

At 15 May, 2006 05:57, Blogger Redeemed said...

Hey, what's wrong with dodging, it's called dodgeball!

I was cracking up while all the way down reading your post, Carey! I'm sorry, poor Carey. Poor Carey's mom!!!! What's a good ol' sport game without any injuries.

In the 5th grade I broke my little pinkie due to dogeball. I was the only girl left on my time and I was freaking out, for a good reason..never think little cute Asian boys are innocent...this kid, he's name is Yu Ding (lol)through the ball really hard. I caught it, but broke my finger and had a cast on in the middle of winter for a month. Needless to say, hospitals stink and my finger still hurts and is very sensitive due to that.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!

 
At 15 May, 2006 06:07, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Lol. A friend had a birthday party with dodgeball, and I got slammed in the face like 7 times. Lenses popped out of my glasses, so I had to play 'blind'.

 
At 15 May, 2006 07:15, Blogger Angie said...

I guess this is just one of the many reasons that I wear contacts!

I honestly cannot stand playing dodge ball. I dislike projectiles headed in my general direction and certainly do not want to be made a target! I also throw like a girl (imagine that!), so I was never very good at hitting anyone, either.

 
At 16 May, 2006 05:03, Blogger Kathryn said...

Eeh! I don't have contacts, but at least we use foam balls at church. xD

 
At 16 May, 2006 06:05, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Yeah. Don't use the big rubber 4-square balls. Ouch.

 
At 16 May, 2006 12:30, Blogger Carey said...

Or volleyballs.

Sarah, your poor pinkie finger! Jeremy broke mine when we were playing hide-and-go-seek in the dark. I can easily dislocate it. Freaky.

Robert, I thought about taking my glasses off. One time I played dodgeball and got hit directly between my eyes. At the time, my frames were metal (I now have plastic) and those nose pieces gouged into my nose. After that, my frames were plastic... or I wore contact lenses.

Katy, foam balls might have been a good idea, but they don't throw as well.

 
At 16 May, 2006 12:35, Blogger Carey said...

Angie -- sorry I didn't include you in the previous comment -- contact lenses are nice, but I have found myself wearing glasses more often recently because I am often in too much of a hurry in the morning. Or maybe I'm just being lazy.

Projectiles heading in your direction are a little unnerving, but I like the adrenaline rush. For some reason, I like the excitement of having things thrown at me -- bizarre as it sounds.

I'm a terrible thrower too. My aim isn't the greatest. *chuckle* But I can kick, hit, and catch quite well. No wonder I am never asked to be pitcher. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home