19 June 2006

A Challenging Week

Last Thursday (08 June) started an avalanche of events -- beginning with me praying for a challenging week that morning (my mother thought I was crazy). Plans for camp had slightly changed due to Jason being retained without leave. Jer and I would have to go without him. Thursday afternoon I was reading my Bible on the couch while Gracie napped and Taylor played in her room. My cell phone rang and I looked to see who was calling. It was Jason's parents' home number. That startled me slightly (because my initial thought was that something bad happened to Jason). It was Jason himself -- which really confused me since he was supposed to be in Colorado. He was home -- after hours of acquiring signatures, pulling strings, and nineteen hours on a bus!

So plans changed once again and we picked Jason up early Saturday morning before beginning a three-hour road trip to Central Texas. I wasn't sure what to expect, because this would be my first year as something other than a camper. Originally, I thought Jason and I would both be staff, but upon arrival I was informed that I would be a counselor for JV girls (ages 11 - 13). They were short of JV counselors so I was drafted. I was overwhelmed and felt so unprepared for such a huge responsibility -- and especially at my age! But the Lord recalled 1 Timothy 4:12 to my mind...
Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
I knew I couldn't handle the responsibility of being the spiritual leader/substitute mother for nine little girls without the Lord's grace, but He received more glory from my weakness.
And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
The week had a rough start, because I started already exhausted from work and a significant lack of sleep over a two-month period. I must admit that I wanted to go home by day two, but the Lord had plans for me. The next day, six girls came to talk to me -- five of which were unsure of their salvation. Throughout the week, the Lord continued to use me (despite myself) in the lives of young girls. It was such an awesome privilege.

Saturday (17 June) was the last day of camp. Jason, Jer, and I went out to lunch with some friends at Chili's before heading home. Between the two of us, Jason and I only had six hours of sleep -- leaving me abnormally quiet and Jason abnormally hyper. It was a sight to say the least. After lunch, we headed across the street for some Starbucks coffee. Jason's quadruple-shot espresso had absolutely no effect on him (thank goodness) and Jer's triple-shot espresso made him hyper for ten mintues before he crashed in the back seat of my car. I ordered green tea, but forgot to ask that the sugar be replaced with Splenda (resulting with me feeling very sick for the next few hours).

On our way, we passed through some small Texas towns (with notorious speed traps). I was pulled over for going 52 mph in a 35 mph speed zone (I never saw the sign). Since it was the very first time I had ever been pulled over by a policeman or been issued a ticket, I was a bit upset. Thankfully Jason was there to calm me down.

So I did receive a challenging week, as requested. Really, God had that planned for me all along. He just brought me to the place where I wanted His will and prayed accordingly. Wow!
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)



14 Comments:

At 19 June, 2006 13:40, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

Very cool.

 
At 19 June, 2006 13:42, Blogger Angie said...

Heh. My speeding ticket was for going 17 over, too. I thought the speed limit was higher, although I should have known better. I was on my way to work the same way I went every day, and it was a stretch of road that I knew very well was full of police officers sitting in wait for poor unsuspecting commuters in a hurry to get to work. I thought that I would really be upset when I got pulled over for the first time. I was amazingly calm, probably because I realized that I deserved it. I had been driving for seven years then and had been in a habit of speeding, so I suppose it was an eventuality!

Glad you had the chance to share with those girls. That's awesome! You may be young, but girls in their early teens usually respond better to college students than they do to old women like me. ;)

 
At 19 June, 2006 14:46, Blogger Carey said...

Samantha, I'm sending an e-mail your way!

 
At 20 June, 2006 05:03, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Jason gets hyper??

Did you get a ticket or a warning?

 
At 20 June, 2006 06:23, Blogger Redeemed said...

Amen Carey, the Lord surely used you. What a privilege to hear how the Lord both used and blessed you in one week.

Those girls will never forget you, neither will the Lord forget your hard work.

Mat 10:42 And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

 
At 20 June, 2006 13:30, Blogger Carey said...

Yes, Robert, Jason was VERY hyper. It was kinda cute (in a weird, wacky sort of way).

I got a ticket -- it was one of those little podunk towns that makes all of its money off of unsuspecting speedsters.

Sarah, thanks for that verse! I miss you terribly! You need to send me an e-mail and update me on what's happening.

 
At 20 June, 2006 13:30, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks Mrs. Roden!

 
At 21 June, 2006 04:25, Blogger Carey said...

My mom has also told me that you should never pray for patience.

Yeah, anger is a hard thing to deal with, but the Lord can take care of that! He was good enough to tone me down in that area.

 
At 21 June, 2006 20:27, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

um, "never pray for patience" I have more times then I can count! is this a bad thing?....

 
At 21 June, 2006 21:28, Blogger Carey said...

It's not a bad thing at all -- more of a joke between my mom and I. Many times the trials used to give us patience are not so much fun (if you know what I mean). The end result is beautiful, though.

 
At 22 June, 2006 01:55, Blogger Redeemed said...

Carey, love the new picture, you are so beautiful :)

I really miss you, you have no idea. I thank God I will get to see you in just over a month now. hurrah!!!! yippie yay!!!!!!

Don't worry about me, all is well, I'm in the Lord's care :)

 
At 22 June, 2006 07:55, Blogger Carey said...

So glad to hear you're all right! I miss you SOOOOOOOO much!

And thanks for the compliment on my picture. You are beautiful too -- inside and out! *BIG HUG*

 
At 25 June, 2006 09:42, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

That wasn't Hyper.
What you saw was a cadet outside its natural habitat.
(Mixed with extra Oxygen)
We all do that
It's kind of a sevival mechanism.
(yeah, whatever)

And BTW,
You might want to delete Samantha's post so the world doesn't get her EMails addresses.

 
At 30 June, 2006 17:40, Blogger Carey said...

Extra oxygen, eh? *wink*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home