27 July 2006

Travel Troubles and Matters of Modesty

Days off are never days off. It just means you're doing a different form of labor.

I spent this morning calling several people trying to find out what happened to my passport that should have arrived a week ago. I finally discovered that it was just mailed Tuesday but that it was supposed to arrive Friday or Saturday (it actually arrived this afternoon). The wheels of the government grind slowly.

Today was my only day to go shopping before I leave the country. (I have to work Friday, go to "cousins'" house on Saturday, work Awana sign-up tables on Sunday, pack at some point over the weekend, work on Monday, and leave early Tuesday morning for the airport.) I dragged Jer along with me to Wal-Mart (horror of horrors) and Old Navy. He is the best shopping buddy -- I take him everywhere with me.

A year ago I absolutely hated shopping for clothes, but forty pounds and four sizes later I like it maybe too much. However, I still have problems shopping -- just different problems. Before, I had a hard time finding clothes that fit (and didn't look like granny clothes). Now, I'm in juniors sizes, but I have to be careful because of modesty issues. That's why I take Jer along. He can give me a guy's perspective and tell me if what I'm wearing is too suggestive or not. Then I go home and ask my dad's opinion before I remove the tags from the clothes.

8 Comments:

At 27 July, 2006 20:10, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

Good idea. It's hard for me to find clothes sometimes that will cover my bust. And a lot of the more modest stuff is just too big. But the search goes on!

 
At 28 July, 2006 04:09, Blogger Angie said...

The ever-present passport troubles...I have heard them so many times! At least you have ten years on this one before you have to replace it. I think I have four years left on mine.

I, too, struggle with shopping. What flatters without revealing too much and what covers without looking like a tent? It's not an easy thing. I like my summer job's dress code: whatever I want to wear. I wear t-shirts and polo shirts with denim capris almost every day. Basic shirts like that are fairly easy to find in decent sizes for me. I like drawstring pants. They can fit more loosely around the "junk in my trunk" without falling down too much. I find it comfortable and modest :).

 
At 28 July, 2006 04:34, Blogger Carey said...

Junk in the trunk... *laughs* I will refrain from talking about what I'm thinking for the sake of my male audience.

 
At 28 July, 2006 06:29, Blogger Redeemed said...

YAY, CAREY'S COMING!!!!!!

Ok, on with the comments. :) I'm just relieved you got your passport in time, as for the shopping, we can do plenty in Montreal :)

We'll give each other good advice as to what is modest, and what is not. yay. I can't refrain from saying YAY!!!!

 
At 28 July, 2006 07:54, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Word from the experianced:
DO NOT put your passport by a trash can, where it can easily and inadvertantly be knocked into the netherworld of the trash heap.

Just a warning.

 
At 28 July, 2006 10:02, Blogger Carey said...

Yay! *hugs Sarah* BTW, what am I going to do while you're at work? Is your mom off the entire week or will Georges be stuck with me? *laughs*

Robert, thank you for the advice. *chuckles* I assume you speak from personal experience.

 
At 28 July, 2006 12:56, Blogger Redeemed said...

lol

I am taking a few days off, Carey. You will have plenty of time to get sick of me, promise!! :)

 
At 28 July, 2006 15:04, Blogger Carey said...

Sick of you? Impossible!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home