19 August 2006

Of Wild Natives and Left Feet

I arrived early at the Hangar, so I curled up in a recliner upstairs with "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" and attempted to read while the natives (half a dozen kids 7 and under) ran amuck. Hope (age 5) crawled into my lap and rummaged through my purse for fun. For some women their purse is sacred territory -- no one may look into it -- but for me... I could care less. Half the time it serves as a diaper bag or source of entertainment for children. Soon, I had about four children either sitting in my lap or standing around waiting for a turn with the iPod. At least I finished reading the introduction.

The party itself was pretty fun... when I finally came downstairs with all the children in tow. (No matter where I go, there is sure to be either kids or animals following me... maybe I should be a zoo-keeper.) I sat with the Glenn sisters during dinner, laughing and munching on my salad (aka bunny food), before leaving early to pick up Julia for swing club.

Jer didn't come with me this time, so I had ample freedom to dance with other guys. When we arrived, I noticed the small amount of male presence -- 11 guys total (out of a couple dozen females). Great, guess I'll be doing the guy's part again.

"You should go ask a guy to dance with you," suggested Jules.

"That's the guy's job to ask. I refuse to be the one to initiate. They're supposed to be the ones to initiate and lead." I then proceeded to jump on my soapbox as Julia and her friend Rochenda stared at me in mute amazement.

Surprisingly, partners were not a problem for me that night because I had six different guys ask me to dance. Unfortunately, only half of them knew what they were doing.

One of my dance partners really creeped me out -- reminded me of Grima Wormtongue from LOTR. He must have been around 30 or so -- short, pale, with a goofy smile and two left feet -- and looked really out of place with the rest of us college students and older couples. I told Jules that he looked like an internet stalker, but she just laughed at me.

"You're really brave to be dancing in thongs," he commented as he led me to the dance floor. My eyebrows shot up a mile. They're called flip-flops, you moron. He then proceeded to "teach" me some "moves" that involved his arms around my waist. I thought about "accidentally" stepping on his two left feet. Needless to say, I avoided him the rest of the night. Very few women volunteered to be his dancing partner, so he would stand on the sidelines and smile at me. I told Jules to look like we're having an important and intense conversation. (We would wave our arms and point at each other, when in reality we were saying "Blah, blah, blah.")

There were some of my dancing partners that I really enjoyed. David -- fellow UNT student, handsome, nice guy, amazing dancer -- and I had met at a chiropractor's office (of all places) several months ago. We recognized each other and chatted for a while before hitting the dance floor. He knew what he was doing (due to ten years experience) and that made all the difference. David was definitely my favorite dancing partner for the night.

The other four guys were okay, I guess, but not interesting enough to write about. They would just come up and say, "Hi, I'm Kyle," or "Hi, I'm Clint... may I have this dance?" with a bashful smile. To which my reply was, "Yeah, sure... I'm Carey."

Jules, Rochenda, and I left around 11 pm. The dancing didn't end until midnight, but I started feeling bummed, so Jules decided a change of scenery would be good for me. We walked around the old UNT neighborhood and then headed toward town square, where the trees were lit around the old courthouse (it's the most fun place to go at night).

Count on Jules for crazy diversions -- we took off our shoes and ran through the sprinklers... in a public place in the middle of the night. It sounds rather insane for a college sophomore to be running through sprinklers in a public place in the middle of the night, but it was very freeing for me. I like doing things that are seemingly out of character for me.

Finally got home a little after midnight (to the relief of Mom and Jer, who called me every hour or so to track my whereabouts). I was gone that day a total of 16.5 hours.

16 Comments:

At 19 August, 2006 16:09, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Why did you leave early?

And why is running through the spinklers out of character? You said to dance in the rain yesterday.

 
At 19 August, 2006 18:23, Blogger Julia said...

Heres my LONG comment!
Psh. I did the guys part for you, you know! Or at least, I tried some.
And that wasnt mute amazement, it was.... Im not sure what it was it was, but it wasnt mute amazement. Haha.
And goodness, that poor guy! He didnt mean to insult your shoes. Geez. I still think the wierd old guy is worse. He jitterbugs like a bounce house.
"Hi, I'm Kyle," or "Hi, I'm Clint..." OMIG THATS SO FUNNY!! THE TWO LITTLE VIGIL BOYS! I must tell you a story about them someday.
Oh, and rashynda- thats how you spell her name. :)
And yes, count on me for diversions. I love to have fun!
I think once you dont give a flip what people think, thats when you start to enjoy yourself.
Love you my little fruit bat!

 
At 19 August, 2006 18:27, Blogger Carey said...

I had to go swing dancing and all they were doing is looking at photos (that I took), so I didn't see a reason for hanging around.

I danced in my backyard -- that's different than a public place.

 
At 19 August, 2006 18:34, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs* Sorry, Jules. You know I wasn't in the best of moods last night.

 
At 19 August, 2006 20:05, Blogger Angie said...

Um...when I and where I grew up it was perfectly acceptable to refer to such footwear as thongs. I think it was more common to hear that than flip flops among certain social groups.

 
At 19 August, 2006 20:29, Blogger Kathryn said...

Aw! Poor little creepy guy. you probably like, made his year. You're sweet.

He probably has a creepy crush on you now and writes about you daily in his creepy journal.

I don't even want to know what I was thinking when the word 'thongs' came up. I had no idea sandals used to be called that.

 
At 19 August, 2006 22:08, Blogger Julia said...

He was NOT creepy!!!
Just nerdy and shyish.
My mom still calls flip flops "thongs".

 
At 20 August, 2006 11:06, Blogger Carey said...

Yeah, my mom calls them thongs too, but I'm sorry... I just can't bring myself to call them 'thongs.' In the Carey Dictionary, they're called 'flip-flops.'

 
At 20 August, 2006 11:06, Blogger Carey said...

BTW, I like your new pic, Jules!

 
At 20 August, 2006 14:39, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Hey, ditto on Ibex, I didn't think thongs was an innapropriat way to refer to sandals.

Give the guy a break.

 
At 20 August, 2006 15:19, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

Ok, what did you do to make the blog like that? It's going to take a whole lot more to read it now, so I'll have to comment on the post when I have the time and brain power to do all that.

ps, we came back a day early!

 
At 21 August, 2006 04:20, Blogger Carey said...

Aw man, I'm sorry, Joy. This was my sorry attempt at Java script. I wanted to create and design a blog template... so this is it.

I still like my airplane template better. Just can't find a better one. Maybe I'll revert.

 
At 21 August, 2006 11:12, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

Ok, so would it be ok if I came to one of these swing club meetings?

You mean that there are guys who DO know how to dance?!?!?! Would it help if I brough another guy(my bro) with me to help even it out some?

 
At 21 August, 2006 12:41, Blogger Carey said...

Of course you're going to come! And yes, bring your brother. Maybe Jer would come then (without me threatening him under gun point).

 
At 21 August, 2006 19:08, Blogger Julia said...

Thanks about my picture! I cant believe I left that other one on for so long. Ickness.

 
At 22 August, 2006 09:48, Blogger Carey said...

*laughs*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home