22 September 2006

The Car Accident

My last class for the day let out because my professor lost her voice and couldn't continue the lecture. I was thankful due to the massive migraine pounding in my head, but still had to run an errand at Wal-Mart for Mom. There were only three items on my list, but everything took twice as long because I was in a fog.

Little did I know that my migraine may have very well saved my life.

I finally made it out of Wal-Mart and made my way back home, attempting to keep my eyes open. Coming over the last hill before my turn, I had a few seconds to survey a large accident at the bottom and brake before landing in the bed of a pickup truck. It must have just happened. A few police cars and the volunteer fire crew were already on the scene. I craned my neck out the window to see what was going on. From what I could tell, there were more than two cars involved. I picked up my cell phone to call Mom and notify her that I wouldn't be home for a while.

"Your grandmother isn't in it... is she?" Mom asked.

"What? Why?"

"She just left to go to the store."

A sick feeling grew in my stomach. "I can't see..." I squinted my eyes. "My car is stuck. There's a driveway a few yards from me, but I'm afraid I'll land in the ditch if I try to pass the car in front of me. I'm stuck -- I'll call you back when I find something out."

The next twenty minutes were spent in fervent prayer. The sick feeling grew worse the longer I sat. Finally, I took the risk of landing my car in a three foot ditch and sailed into the driveway to park my car. I jumped out and walked to the scene of the accident. One of the cars was completely totaled -- the front end was entirely gone. A crowd of firemen and policemen stood around the ditch next to it. An ambulance came with stretchers.

"How many cars were involved?" I asked a trucker standing by.

"Three," came the answer in a strong Texan accent. "The other two are in the ditch across the road."

"What kind of cars are they?" My heart-rate increased.

"That truck," he pointed, "and a red suburban."

I breathed a sigh of relief (my grandmother drives a gray Nissan), but I was still worried about the people involved in the accident. I walked a little closer to the scene. Even though I couldn't see any details, I knew someone was hurt badly.

Then CareFlight came.

The chopper landed ten yards away from where I stood. I could only stare as memories of another car accident flooded my mind. Eleven years ago, Mom, Jer, and I were in a bad car accident. Our car was totaled and Jer nearly died. That moment is still so vividly burned into my memory. I don't talk about it much because it's one of those memories I'd rather not recall -- it was one of the most traumatizing moments of my life (so far).

After CareFlight left, I walked numbly to my car and somehow managed to pull out of the growing traffic and retrace back to the highway. I had to go 15 miles out of my way to get home, but the trip was almost surreal. The accident was still haunting me. I prayed for the people involved and wondered if the injured person was still alive.

My family welcomed me warmly once I stepped in the door, but I broke down. Maybe the combination of sheer exhaustion, a migraine, and haunting memories revisited, but I cried for a while as Mom and Jer held me. Had I not had that migraine and took so long to shop, I might have been the one in that car accident. More than anything, I was thankful my grandmother wasn't in that accident.

7 Comments:

At 22 September, 2006 19:32, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Wow.
Glad you weren't in the accedent.
How were the people that were in it?

 
At 22 September, 2006 20:23, Blogger Redeemed said...

Unbelievable! I thank God he kept you (and your grandmother) safe. I totally understand that you broke down once you got home. It's a blessing that your mom and Jeremy were there to bear the load. I guess you three have a special bond now because of your tragic accident…

I’m just really relieved to know that you are safe. Thank you, Lord.

 
At 23 September, 2006 06:57, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I am glad you are safe too.

 
At 23 September, 2006 08:16, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks, everyone.

I don't know what happened to all of the people who were in the accident, Robert. As far as I could tell, only one was seriously injured. The others were either standing or at least able to sit. The person who was taken by CareFlight was the one in the totaled car (with the entire front-end missing).

Mom, Jer, and I do have a special bond -- might have also come from homeschooling and being stuck with each other all the time. ;-)

 
At 23 September, 2006 09:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness both you and your grandmother were not involved! Praise God! But I hope those other people are ok! :(

 
At 23 September, 2006 16:09, Blogger Carey said...

I hope so too.

 
At 28 September, 2006 14:28, Blogger Camille said...

Wow, I'm sure glad you are okay!! I've been in a few minor accidents. They aren't much fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home