24 September 2006

Shock and Awe

My family is shocked beyond belief -- I am actually making an effort to learn how to cook, do laundry, shop for food, budget my finances, washing dishes, and the like. If you've known me for a few years, you'll know that this is... well, a total miracle.

Two weeks ago, I joined a small group (along with my parents) that is doing a Crown Financial study so I can better manage my finances. Mom is training me how to plan menus and grocery shop (I call her the "goddess of grocery shopping" - she has grocery shopping down to an art). Now that Dad is working again, I try to help with the laundry. So far I haven't ruined anyone's clothes. Washing dishes... well, I still hate to do it, but I'm making myself wash them anyway.

Recently, I've started prepping mine and Dave's breakfasts and packing lunches the night before -- even coming home from school and cooking dinner. Mom stares and shakes her head in wonder.

What I once thought of as "domestic slavery" I've come to realize (finally) as a practical way to serve and love my family.

8 Comments:

At 24 September, 2006 13:43, Blogger Julia said...

Wow, ive ALWAYS done my own laundry.

 
At 24 September, 2006 19:43, Blogger Carey said...

Well, when Dad was laid off four/five years ago and he stayed home on Disability, he did all the laundry. I got really spoiled.

 
At 25 September, 2006 05:41, Blogger Carey said...

*pinch*

 
At 25 September, 2006 05:50, Blogger RobertDWood said...

You make the lunch the night before? If its sandwiches, don't they get mushy by the next lunch time?

 
At 25 September, 2006 09:05, Blogger Carey said...

I can't eat sandwiches, remember? Lunch today is left-over tofu stirfry. Tomorrow it's chili and green beans.

 
At 25 September, 2006 14:51, Blogger Carey said...

Scratch that. Jer just ate the chili, so I guess it's tofu again.

 
At 25 September, 2006 15:37, Blogger BeautyBlogger said...

LOL, I like your title. :)

So why can't you eat sandwiches??? Tofu sounds yummy. So does the chili. Oh no, don't tell me your blog is going to make me hungry too. Between yours and Angie's blogs I will gain 100 lbs.! LOL. ;)

 
At 25 September, 2006 19:47, Blogger Carey said...

Haha... sorry, Shieryl.

I can't eat carbohydrates - bread products, pasta, sugar, etc - because of a condition I have called Candida Albicans. Carbs make me sick and very fatigued, so I stick to lean meats, lots of veggies, legumes, some dairy and fruit (but I have to watch that too - can't drink regular milk because it has 11 gr of sugars, so I drink soy milk).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home