20 April 2006

Analyze That

One of my spiritual gifts is that of discernment (or "analyzing everything to death"). I even analyze the lyrics of the songs I hear on the radio during my morning commute. One of my favorite radio stations is Mix 102.9 because it plays a variety of music. Listening to Kelly Clarkson's "Because of You" irritates me. The song itself is beautiful, but the lyrics are ridiculous when I think about it. Essentially, she is blaming her father for her relationship problems. So many people do this. I could do this too; my relationship with my dad has effected me in a very deep (and sometimes painful) way, but I will not be bitter over it - nor will I blame my environment for my problems. That is so irresponsible.

3 Comments:

At 20 April, 2006 12:13, Blogger Redeemed said...

Yes, good point, Carey. But that is worldly, carnal music for you.

It's a carnal way of thinking, because there is no hope and joy. True joy comes from the Lord Jesus Christ.

That is why Christians can find joy in any situation

 
At 20 April, 2006 13:59, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Yes, that does not sound too good.

You are very discerning, but I would be cautitous about identifying the spiritual gift of discernment with intellectual analysis. 'Discerning of spirits' does suggest a supernatural knowledge that is miraculose in character. However, the exact nature of this gift is the subject of debate.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

 
At 20 April, 2006 20:54, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks, Sarah. Most of the time, I listen to the classical or Christian stations, but I like to listen to others occasionally to listen to the form of the music itself. Doesn't always work out that way because I usually end up analyzing and going nuts. It can be very depressing. However, I also use this as a means of ministry and evangelism. One of my in-roads into pop culture is music.

Matthew, I was told I had this gift years ago, but I'd really like to study spiritual gifts more in depth. Perhaps this is not the case now, but I certainly do discern.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home